Singer missing after OK duck hunting trip; one person found dead

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
We had heard a rumor locally last night that they had found the second body. Guess not. That water... can't imagine anyone living long enough to make it to shore, unless they were very close already. And even if you could make it, with the temps out there, it wouldn't take long if you couldn't find some dry clothes and shelter. Still very sad. Had another duck hunting accident out there a couple weeks back, too. Not sure if it was on Kaw, but was in the area. Guy's dog bumped his shotgun which fell and blew a (big) hole in his leg. Never been duck hunting, but just doesn't seem like my kinda thing - usually freezing miserable cold and focused around water. No thx.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Real shame. I've deer hunted at Kaw before and that lake is unforgiving. Heck, I didn't even consider a walk in duck hunt last weekend at the lake as the winds would carry any duck shot beyond reach with waders in an instant and I wasn't sending my dog out in it either.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Was out at the lake for the second day today. No success.
The OHP Lakes Division has taken over the recovery process. They are bringing in Cadaver dogs from Missouri tomorrow to put on the lake in boats and see if they can find something. Supposed to be dead calm tomorrow like today so the dogs may be of some help.

Sticky Stokes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wonder if this is a life jacket issue? Meaning if they had one on could they have made it? I don't know so just asking, I've been on some small boats in some crazy rough water, both fresh and saltwater, I always had that life jacket on and another one in my hand. I've never been on Kaw lake, and certainly not in a storm and from all I've read and heard don't think I ever will be, that lake is a killer. Prayers for the families, those guys were both young with their whole lives ahead of them, and by all accounts great people and outdoorsmen, big loss to us all.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When you first go into extremely cold water there is this response called a cold shock response. People start to hyperventilate immediately. For one to three minutes you breathe very fast and deep, uncontrollably. If you go underwater, you could swallow water and die.
Generally, a person can survive in 41-degree F water for 10, 15 or 20 minutes before the muscles get weak, you lose coordination and strength, which happens because the blood moves away from the extremities and toward the center, or core, of the body.
The water today was 35 degrees.
The person found had a life jacket on. It didn't stop him from dying, but it gave him back to his family to lay to rest.

Latest posts

Top Bottom