Slugging Barrel Marlin 1895G

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mec

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a 1895 Guide Gun and have been using some 405 LFN over 40gr of RE7. Had a bad problem with leading within just a few rounds. I backed off of the charge to 36gr and still have the problem.

I am beginning to think that the problem is the bullets are not large enough in diameter to fully engage the rifling (it has non Micro-Groove rifling). The bullets are sized .458 and I have read of barrels on these guns measuring .459 or .460.

I have never had occasion to slug a bore before and was hoping for some guidance. I have heard of using pure lead weights of the kind used for fishing and round balls but was wanting to get some info before attempting this on my gun.

Any pointers or recommendations would be appreciated

HiPower

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To slug your bore, you'll need a dead soft piece of lead like a swaged handgun bullet, round ball, fishing sinker or something like it that is just a tad larger than bore diameter. Then it's just a matter of driving it through the bore. If you use a handgun bullet or round ball, you can make larger in diameter by putting it on something solid and giving it a good smack with a hammer.

mec

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
So you are saying that something like this would work fine for this purpose, I just might have to beat it a tad to make it expand enough to fit tightly in the bore?

Since this is about .003 under what i believe the bore to be that should work nicely.

After I get it driven through the bore I will be measuring the groove diameter and picking a bullet that is about .001 larger than this measurement? Is that a correct statement?

mec

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK, I had the right idea and was using the wrong terminology

The link provided all the needed information. I will be measuring the widest part of the slug and picking a bullet to match that.

Thanks for the link sol.torluemke, exactly what I needed

UnSafe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thoughts-
Unlikely that you have an over diameter barrel.
Current bullet diameter?
Have you compared them to other similar bullets from different manufacturers?
MV? How hot is this load?
Try a different bullet or Gas check bullets?

In edit- I missed the "Non" micro groove barrel. Still, I'd throw a rock at alloy hardness and velocity as the cause of leading.

Latest posts

Top Bottom