Slugging Barrel Marlin 1895G

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mec

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
There's a how to on here somewhere that has which fishing wieght to use to slug different calibers also.
They're are usually made from pure lead so they work well for this.
If I can find it I'll post a link.

Here you go:

http://www.okshooters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71166

Awesome, was looking for something just like that. I was going to take my calipers to the store and measure them through the bag to select the right ones. This information saves me the time.

Many thanks

mec

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Current bullet diameter?

They are .458

Have you compared them to other similar bullets from different manufacturers?

I haven't had occasion to shoot anything else through this gun but 405gr JSP's. My father in law had a 250ct box of the cast bullets and he sent them to me to "play with".

MV? How hot is this load?

This website shows some Brian Pearce loads (in the last post on the page) using 405 grain Cast Performance LFN GC bullets. He is showing 42gr of RE7 as giving ~1600fps. I started out loading 40gr and backed that down to 36gr...so maybe 1400-1500fps. Thats just a WAG, I have a chronograph, but it is a hassle to get out at the range during the time that everybody is sighting in their deer rifles (that was the last time I shot it).

Try a different bullet or Gas check bullets?

Yeah, that is the plan depending on what the slug measures out to be. I would be all for using a gas check if that will prevent the leading, but if it is just a matter or buying the correctly sized bullet for this rifle and I can shoot lead without the gas check that would be fine too.

mec

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I knew that I had seen a BHN guide somewhere before and finally found it again.

http://www.missouribullet.com/technical.php

It gives that optimum BHN as: CUP / (1422 x 0.90)

According to my Lyman 49th edition 37gr of RE7 pushing a 405gr LFN bullet is:
37.0gr = 16,400 CUP
39gr = 17,900 CUP

That should produce an optimum BHN of 12.81 to 13.98 BHN. It could very well be that the bullets are too hard for the velocities that I am pushing them...something to investigate. I am still going to slug the bore just to say that I have and also to put my mind at ease but thought this might be interesting information to anyone wondering what range of BHN they should look for.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I shoot cast bullets out of two 45-70's. One is a Handi-Rifle (Kills on both ends) and a 95 marlin rifle length. I shoot 340 grain mostly out of self defense, but have shot quite a bit of 405 grain as well. I shoot very hard cast bullets out of both guns and have very little leading. What kind of lube is on the bullets? I use a high velocity lube on mine, it is quite a bit more waxy than the softer brown lubes. I have to use a heater with the lubrisiizer to get it to flow. My rifle also has cut rifling and not microgrove.. Blitzfike

mec

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Old Fart pointed me to the LBT site and they have both a slugging kit and a fire lapping kit so I am going to put that on order and report back with the results.

44 special will be here Wednesday along with a 4-5/8" Single Six :D

Latest posts

Top Bottom