Small pears

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yea I’ve got 3 ea 5 gallon buckets and a billion more to pick up. Wish the damn things drop all at once, I’m down to a dozen really big trees on maybes a quarter acre city lot in my mind. You don’t want those around your house as I’m tired of burning fallen limbs…..

just went Rambo and spent 3k getting them down to a manageable level 😊 The guy loved me as he took the trunks for boards.
I had one in my yard and corner of the garden. They both went away.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm good , this is all I want to fool with. Me and my Mom are the only ones that like them. I left the squirrels a bunch. They're in the pasture so out of sight, out of mind.View attachment 323652
Not even close to what is on our ground. This year was the biggest for whatever reason.
FYI, the green walnut skins were boiled in water to put traps in by the mountain men as a way to prevent rust. I've done my traps the same way and it works.
The native Americans also used the walnut skins as a poison to kill fish in streams for harvesting.
Just a side note in case you do trivia contests.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yea I’ve got 3 ea 5 gallon buckets and a billion more to pick up. Wish the damn things drop all at once, I’m down to a dozen really big trees on maybes a quarter acre city lot in my mind. You don’t want those around your house as I’m tired of burning fallen limbs…..

just went Rambo and spent 3k getting them down to a manageable level 😊 The guy loved me as he took the trunks for boards.
Concrete filled roller and wet ground punches them into the earth. Problem solved with the squirrels taking them out for eating. Let Mother Nature help you.
Fallen limbs go into the shop wood burning two barrel stove for heat.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not even close to what is on our ground. This year was the biggest for whatever reason.
FYI, the green walnut skins were boiled in water to put traps in by the mountain men as a way to prevent rust. I've done my traps the same way and it works.
The native Americans also used the walnut skins as a poison to kill fish in streams for harvesting.
Just a side note in case you do trivia contests.
Yep I have a bunch of new traps that need dyed. I've heard about fishing with them.

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My wife’s parents pear trees did the same thing. We got a lot of it washed and sliced and frozen. After getting it prepped/frozen from there you can take your time and thaw to make whatever ya want

You can make pear sauce just like applesauce, pear butter like apple butter, use it in crisps/cobblers/pies. Make wine. Etc.. we found the pears tend to be better in the sauces because they go mushy after freezing. A little too mushy for pies..

Making pear wine is easy. Pears have a very light flavor in wine, so I would go heavy on the fruit load. Minimum of 5lbs diced pears per gallon. Do a 3 or 4 gallon batch in a 5 gallon bucket, leaving enough space for all that fruit. Primary fermentation only takes about a month. Then you can chemical stabilize and bottle clear it. Bottle age 6months to a year before drinking.

We also love to make Dutch oven cobbler with our home grown fruits of any kind. Even if the frozen pears tend to be a little mushy, still tastes good!

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Trim your trees I got the same problem and I think it's cause the tree is into growing tall.
Mine grew to like 50 foot tall and now produces golf ball size fruit.
We gather ours around August 1st or the animals come.
The coons climb the trees and throw them at the deer. By mid August they are all gone.
Real sweet though, says the wife.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Trim your trees I got the same problem and I think it's cause the tree is into growing tall.
Mine grew to like 50 foot tall and now produces golf ball size fruit.
We gather ours around August 1st or the animals come.
The coons climb the trees and throw them at the deer. By mid August they are all gone.
Real sweet though, says the wife.
Major drought, they only got the water I gave them which wasn't very much for the fruit set.

HillsideDesolate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
With the drought my pears didn't grow very big. The tree was loaded. Earlier they didn't have much flavor but now that they are falling off they are much better.
If I ever get done with the persimmons I'll start on doing something with the pears.
We don't eat enough jelly jam or preserves.
View attachment 323639
Nice, any issues with pear rust? We had it bad in western WA, made growing pears pretty difficult west of the cascades, but there were some old established trees. My fruit always came out small and not very prolific. I have heard it is an issue here as well as the fungus shares a live cycle with the cedar trees, heard there was apple rust as well which was a non issue for me before.
Sounds like citizens need to step up…. Wine, beer, or sprits for personal use is no big deal to me, like the growers do for personal use.

Yea you’ll see me advising it’s a slippery slope and won’t ever vote anything used to enslave humanity for profit but I will always call out the slave masters in Washington
Beer, wine and cider can all be made for personal use tax free and no record. Wine use to require a permit and Beer was not legalized stall until the 1970s when the ATF ended the permit system. My old house in Seattle was made in 1924 and inhabited by Italians. Downstairs it had a wine cellar with a hidden door inside the original owners ATF winemaking permit dated 1964 was stapled to the door it had a table to fill out how much wine and what date. He had filled it out, Gallons: 50, type: Grape and left the date blank. I figured he planned on filling it in when the feds came knocking. No grapes were on the property but were at the neighboring houses. The house was full of hiding places like hidden panels behind the built in book shelf and the attic access was child sized. I opened a few suspect spaces before I moved hoping to find a Thompson and some gold coins, but alas, nothing.

Also being from Washington it always strikes me funny when people blame problems on Washington. Like I didn't do that. Then I remember it's the other Washington. In Washington we called it DC.

Latest posts

Top Bottom