Smart Shelters storm shelter installed today.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

white92coupe

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There is no liability to be found on part of the homeowner if an F4 tornado demolishes a house and kills any non-resident persons therein. It's just a case of "poop happens."

That's a callous answer, but an honest one.

The medical/death only covers non residents? My future bride took care of all the insurance, and this is mostly pretty new stuff to me.

garret01

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
From a liability standpoint you would think a storm shelter would reduce cost in not paying medical claims and death claims from storms.

From a life insurance standpoint; sure. If we are talking about a homeowner's hazard insurance policy, they don't payout when you die. Now, if your maid slips on that loose rug at the top of your stairs and breaks his arm (the commercial) then you would probably have a personal injury claim.

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Reaction score
Ok, sorry for the late reply. I had been up all night working, got home and "supervised" the installation. Then I had to sleep. :laugh6:

"Can you give more details about the installation process? Looks good."

They came out, unloaded all of the stuff and about 20 +/- bags of concrete. They measured, drew out a rectangle on the garage floor. They had one of those concrete saws that uses water and cut out the shape, along with a few cuts to help dig in and pull it out. They used the mini excavator to lift out the concrete, then dug a big huge hole. They squared it up, dropped the shelter inside with the excavator. Next they made sure it was level and equal inside the hole. They filled in with dry concrete all around each side. Filled in water all the way around. They put the front and rear lids on, cleaned it out, touched it up, installed the stairs/benches. Then they installed the covers/caps all around all sides. Each cap has a lip that secures against the top lip of the shelter. Then they drilled into the floor and braced each one with several nails. That was about it. They haul off all the old dirt/concrete. They did a pretty decent job of cleaning up. Because I am anal, I got my good ol Honda pressure washer out and sprayed down the driveway to clear off the caked mud/rubber track marks from the excavator.

And if you don't mind, approx how much.

Shelter was normally $2995.00, got it for $400 off, so $2595.00 total.

Interesting that they didn't need to poor more concrete or infill around the box.

They did, you just can't see it under those caps.

Very nice. How do you deal with debris that might cover the door?

You can slide the door pretty easy, but this one did not come with a come-along. I might go out and purchase one a little later. You can also pull some pins on the back door and push it up. I think some have a bottle jack installed for that. I do not have that option.

separate question. would a storm shelter lower your insurance premium?

As stated in the rest of the thread, there is no discount for that

I wondered how they would backfill and anchor to the slab, unless they do it all under the flared lip.

On the sides of the shelter are some anchor points that grab into the concrete as it dries to anchor the unit down

Nice shelter btw.

Thanks!

Let me know if there is anything else I can answer. I am sure there are pros and cons on every single shelter out there. Really, they all do about the same thing. Save your life if you house gets blown away. :thumb: I am going to keep some emergency supplies down there in case we have to stay a while.

Latest posts

Top Bottom