Smith & Wesson 4003...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The differences between the 4-digit S&W Semi-autos is in the model numbers (well, sort of).

First off, (and this only pertains to semi-autos - and I don't believe any of the plastic guns), there are 2-digit models, 3-digit models, and 4-digit models. The older models (with 2-digits or 3-digits) cannot handle +P in almost any case (if someone knows of an exception, by all means, feel free to correct me - I'm still lost on a lot of the S&W alphabet soup).

639 can handle +p 2nd Gen.

The 4-digit model numbered guns are made up of 1st gen, 2nd gen, and 3rd gen - so don't let anyone tell you that just because its got 4 digits, its definitely a 3rd gen gun (I used to think that).

39/59 series 1ST Gen, X39/X59/X69 2ND Gen, Then we come to 3RD Gen, all rules are thrown out the window, cause this is where S&W started to combine the 3 digit/4 digit, most of this was done with the 45ACP 457 serie's, but there are others!!!!!!

XXxx
In the 4-digit model-number system, the first two digits indicate caliber and "basic model system" which I think translates into single/double-stack from all the models I've seen:

The "39xx" series is a single stack 9mm compact. The 59XX series is a full sized 9mm as are the 69XX series.
69XX is compact model, same size as the 3913, but with a 12rd magazine.

xxXx
Third Digit is "Type of Model" which indicates size and action-type (I think). "0" is standard model, 1 is compact, "2" is standard with decocking lever, "3" is compact with decocking lever. "4" is standard with DOA action, "5" is compact with DAO.

The 3913 is a lightweight compact alloy frame. The 5906 and 6906 are also on lightweight alloy frames, but are full-sized.

5906 is all steel, and 6906 is alloy frame.

xxxX
The last digit in the designation means the frame material type. 3 is aluminum frame / stainless slide, 4 is aluminum frame / carbon slide. 5 is carbon frame / carbon slide and 6 is stainless frame / stainless slide. 7 is stainless frame with carbon slide.

Letters after the 4 numbers are just accessories added onto the weapon ie: "TSW" means Tactical Smith & Wesson - which basically means it has a rail. LS means "Lady Smith" and the weapon usually has some performance center work as std for the model and other design cosmetics.

The problem is that Smith didn't stick with their own system as there are lots of exceptions to the above set of "rules".

Damned if that isn't the truth!!!!

Smith actually released a "secret decoder wheel" at one time (here's a link about it):

Its not even correct, I've got one!!!

EZB, Don't forget all the different -dash series to add to the confusion!!!!!!!

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
EZB, Don't forget all the different -dash series to add to the confusion!!!!!!!

Man, I knew one of you good ole Smith guys would jump in and correct me, but I didn't know I was that sloppy with my facts (those damn Smith model numbers are confusing - I was going by what I knew my dad had in my head and clearly haven't shot his guns in a while) - thanks for keeping me in-line. I think I'll edit the original to as not to provide a bunch of bad info to everyone.

Here's a question then - are all 4-digit model Semi-auto Smiths considered 3rd gen?

I can't remember who corrected me on that last time and said it wasn't (I'm pretty sure it was this forum - although it might have been another - crap, its been a while since I went through all this back when I got my first handgun ever - a 4046).

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Holy crap, talk about confusion.

The only Smith semi-auto I ever had (and I had 4 of them) that I liked was the old model 59. It was a shooter and, IMO, the best of the bunch. They should have stuck with it. Again, in my opinion.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Man, I knew one of you good ole Smith guys would jump in and correct me, but I didn't know I was that sloppy with my facts (those damn Smith model numbers are confusing - I was going by what I knew my dad had in my head and clearly haven't shot his guns in a while) - thanks for keeping me in-line. I think I'll edit the original to as not to provide a bunch of bad info to everyone.

Here's a question then - are all 4-digit model Semi-auto Smiths considered 3rd gen?

All 4-digit are 3rd Gen.

I can't remember who corrected me on that last time and said it wasn't (I'm pretty sure it was this forum - although it might have been another - crap, its been a while since I went through all this back when I got my first handgun ever - a 4046).

ok, my head is spinning... But ehh I asked for it right!!

Thanks!

You think its spinning now, get a copy of the Smith&Wesson standard catalog and start reading.

+1,only trouble I have ever had is when I wear out a recoil spring.

Thats a bunch of shooting!!

Punisher

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
well I finally got to another show and thankfully the same vendor was there. sure enough it was the 4003. While checking them out, he asked if I woudl be interested in a 4013TSW I said hell yeah!!

I few minutes later I was paying for it. Came with all the original paperwork, 3 mags and blue case. price was $385 + tax

needless to say, im stoked!! need some ammo and range time!!!

Here are some pics.

Whatcha think, did I do good??

ai78.photobucket.com_albums_j83_Punisher102_100_4634.jpg

ai78.photobucket.com_albums_j83_Punisher102_100_4628.jpg

ai78.photobucket.com_albums_j83_Punisher102_100_4630.jpg

ai78.photobucket.com_albums_j83_Punisher102_100_4633.jpg

ai78.photobucket.com_albums_j83_Punisher102_100_4636.jpg

98pointsix

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since this has kinda turned inot the 3rd get smith auto info thread I have a question. Since if everything goes according to plan tomarrow I should have my 4043. Its an old police trade in and I want to spruce up the grips and sights but cant seem to find grips and sights anywhere specifically for the 4043, so will anything that fits a 40XX fit my pistol? and anyone have some really cool sights they can suggest.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
well I finally got to another show and thankfully the same vendor was there. sure enough it was the 4003. While checking them out, he asked if I woudl be interested in a 4013TSW I said hell yeah!!

I few minutes later I was paying for it. Came with all the original paperwork, 3 mags and blue case. price was $385 + tax

needless to say, im stoked!! need some ammo and range time!!!

Here are some pics.

Whatcha think, did I do good??

ai78.photobucket.com_albums_j83_Punisher102_100_4634.jpg

You didn't do well, you stole that one!!! Congratulations!! Buy lots of mags an ammo.

Latest posts

Top Bottom