Smoked Ribs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Along with Danny Tanner, I use an ugly drum smoker (UDS) easy to make yourself, and works awesome.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436

I can't hit this link at work, but it's most likely the same thread I read in its entirety and used the best of all methods to build my UDS. I absolutely love it. My charcoal basket has gone 20 hours with enough fuel left over for another few hours, at least. For the most part, it's set it and forget it once I [easily] get the temps dialed in. On really long smokes (briskets, butts) I sometimes have to rattle it a bit to free up any ash from the charcoal basket. Cost about $100 to build and out-performs the side-box smoker I had a few years ago.

Even though I was aware of this before building one, my only complaint is that I can't achieve high heat, which has put me in on the lookout for a good komado cooker deal. I was looking at the Primo Oval XL, but I think I'll settle with a Broil King Keg. It comes standard with a trailer hitch attachment which would allow me to take it camping. Pulled pork sandwiches by the campfire? Count me in!

120 Acres

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What kind of smoker does everyone have?

I have the ol trusty Oklahoma Joe:

[Broken External Image]

Seems there is quite the variety of techniques here. I think we need to get together, have a little competition...

An OSA trophy or a plaque would look good in my shop.

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

wayofthemoneysaver.files.wordpress.com_2010_05_suspicious_fry.jpg

A rib-off would be fun, though!

120 Acres

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, it would be. But I'm sure I would be out voted on location. Seems the majority would be in the OKC area.

Though I could offer a nicely Brush-hogged field beside a pond, shooting, and well, anything goes on my land.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have the same smoker, an older Oklahoma Joes off set smoker.
I would like to add, I only put on a thin layer of sauce and let it glaze on over an hour.

I have the ol trusty Oklahoma Joe:

[Broken External Image]

Seems there is quite the variety of techniques here. I think we need to get together, have a little competition...

BgBdBob

Marksman
Reaction score
Somebody needs to plan the BBQ-Off. I am sure we could all agree on a location for the sake of BBQ and BBQ Shoot Off!

Remove the membrane, dry rub, 2-3 hours, apple juice and a thin coat of sauce and remove after I get an even Char.

Latest posts

Top Bottom