Snake sidearm

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have used a variety of 38 spec. revolvers with rat/snake shot loads and all worked pretty good on snakes

Last edited:

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Haven't considered using a 357 for snakes though.
I can tell you that a .38Spl CCI Snake Shot fired from a snub-nose revolver will make a mess of a possum's face at a distance of under 3 feet. I've carried CCI Snake Shot in .38Spl and .45ACP, but, ironically enough, the only times I've shot a snake (one copperhead and one pygmy rattler), I only had a .22LR auto loaded with regular ol' lead boolits. Technically, the 12ga. was what dispatched the copperhead, but the .22 slowed him down long enough for me to retrieve the scattergun from the hacienda.

FWIW, if the copperhead had gone away from the house instead of heading for it, he would've been OK. Likewise, I hated shooting the pygmy (it was such a beautiful snake), but he couldn't find his way off of my deck, and my dog wasn't smart enough to stay the flip away from him. Pretty snake or not, the safety of my dog always wins over varmints.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
****, seems the snakes should be afraid of you, they're not trying to kill you or anything.
http://www.oksnakes.org/

I agree with you on that, but for my peace of mind I like to have something to deal with the occasional cottonmouth that thinks he's brave. I've had them go after fish I've caught before, and esp if I'm hip deep in water I don't want my only option to be telling him to "go away".

Latest posts

Top Bottom