Snake sidearm

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

120 Acres

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was flipping a jig & pig on Tenkiller one night. Hit the bank to slide it off into the water. A cottonmouth intercepted. I thought I was dragging a stick back to the boat, luckily I lifted it up in to back light it and realized it was no stick. I thought it was just a water snake, told by wife I was bringing it in. She said "hell no". I got the light out and sure glad she was with me. It wasnt even hooked. It only had ahold of the pork trailer. He let go when the light hit it.

otis147

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i know cottonmouths have been seen around rush springs, maybe flukes. it isn't that they're aggressive, they're curious.

that venom's expensive, and they'd prefer not to use it on something they can't eat.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
that venom's expensive, and they'd prefer not to use it on something they can't eat.
This makes sense. Coperheads are the same way, if they bite you, 99% of the time that first bite is a dry bite in an attemp to scare you away, the second bit isnt. Its hard to find antivenom for copperheads because there are so few "wet bites".

okie362

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This makes sense. Coperheads are the same way, if they bite you, 99% of the time that first bite is a dry bite in an attemp to scare you away, the second bit isnt. Its hard to find antivenom for copperheads because there are so few "wet bites".

That's BS. Sumbyotch bites me and we'll be plenty wet...and messy!

MadDogs

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
My 2¢ is a lightweight 38sp. Since you may be fishing or carrying a bow, you might want to consider a cross-draw, appendix or possibly a shoulder holster.

While not the best choice if one may have to use only one hand, an AOW shotgun is intriguing. If one goes that route, just make sure that there is an understanding of the stamp needed.

VIKING

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got a Colt Commando 38 special that was issued during WWII..I used it for years while living in South Texas for rattle snakes that wanted to be a little too friendly..I never bought any of the bird shot shells for it..I only used the Speer Shot shell cups and filled them full of no. 9 shot.can't remember the powder or charge but it's on the box of plastic cups..This made for a very effective load for snakes or anything else that was within about 6 or 7 feet..

Last edited:

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
My 2¢ is a lightweight 38sp. Since you may be fishing or carrying a bow, you might want to consider a cross-draw, appendix or possibly a shoulder holster.

While not the best choice if one may have to use only one hand, an AOW shotgun is intriguing. If one goes that route, just make sure that there is an understanding of the stamp needed.

After reading everyone's advice I'm really considering a Ruger sp101 in .357 with the 2.25 barrel. Or a Taurus in similar fashion. The ruger is little bit more than I want to spend, but it could be used for fishing, hunting, and carry. So I can warrant spending a few extra bucks.

Why a different pattern for draw? Being right handed I will be supporting the bow with my left. I imagine 3 o clock would be about standard. I usually carry at 3 or 4 o clock anyways.

The AOW is def intriguing, but more than I wand to drag around and more than I want to shoot with one hand if needed. The stamp is only $5? Right?

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i know cottonmouths have been seen around rush springs, maybe flukes. it isn't that they're aggressive, they're curious.
Way back in 10th grade biology, the teacher told us that Cleveland County was the only county in Oklahoma without a confirmed cottonmouth sighting.

Supposedly, black powder pistols are the best for rattlesnakes because a rattler's strike is quicker than the bullets, and they end up catching the bullet in flight...

Toney

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
2666d1430336468t-lcrx-3-img_20150429_142521.jpg.........

Latest posts

Top Bottom