SNAKE!!! - What is it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rattle-headed-copper-moccasin

In Oklahoma you don't really need to know what a snake is, you just need to know that it isn't a rattlesnake, copperhead or cottonmouth, all of which, luckily, are very easy to identify.

The rest of them are harmless and very beneficial to have around the house, as long as they mind their manners and stay outside. I give 'em 3 strikes. If they get caught in the house 3 times, they gotta go.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
BTW - The wife doesn't know about it yet ... she's in Tulsa this week-end.

if she is in t town I hope she is ok with storms headed that way

Thanks for your concern! She is home now, safe and sound, and she STILL doesn't know about it. (She may NEVER know about it!) I've been looking around, trying to figure out how it got in. I did yard work yesterday, including cutting down some tall grass where, honestly, the thought crossed my mind that 'this could hide a snake.' The back STORM door was closed the whole time (or should have been unless the closer didn't pull it all the way shut) but I left the inner door open. I'm wondering if I didn't scare it out of the tall stuff, which wasn't all that far from the back door, and it found its way in that back door. I don't know. Maybe grasping at straws, but I don't find any likely possibilities!

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree..in Oklahoma all you need to do is learn what a rattlesnake, copperhead and water moccasin (aka cotton mouth, contrary to what a lot of people will tell you they are the same snake) look like. If it's not one of those you can catch it or otherwise get it outside without hurting it and let it go. You are much better off having those non-venomous snakes around than all the vermin that they eat. They give me a scare when I first run into them but once I see they aren't venomous it's no big deal.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I agree..in Oklahoma all you need to do is learn what a rattlesnake, copperhead and water moccasin (aka cotton mouth, contrary to what a lot of people will tell you they are the same snake) look like. If it's not one of those you can catch it or otherwise get it outside without hurting it and let it go. You are much better off having those non-venomous snakes around than all the vermin that they eat. They give me a scare when I first run into them but once I see they aren't venomous it's no big deal.

Yup, about the way I treat them.

Found this little guy in the utility room.

i157.photobucket.com_albums_t52_m5stingray18_Snake_Snake.jpg

Kyle78

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
check your dryer vent. we used to have bull snakes come thru ours. Also, you need to check for rodents, they could be following the
scent trail into your house.

Latest posts

Top Bottom