What type of caterpillar/worm

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Google 'Orange dog caterpillar'. I think that might be it.

Is that something a bird left behind? No, it's an orange dog caterpillar, the larvae of the Giant Swallowtail butterfly, which is native to our area. Believe it or not, that caterpillar is about to transform into a beautiful blue and black butterfly.

Think of the orange dog as the ugly duckling of the caterpillar world. Found on all varieties of citrus leaves, these caterpillars begin life very small, with an irregular brown and white coloration camouflaging them to look almost exactly like a piece of bird excrement.

FlyGuyGSP

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Google 'Orange dog caterpillar'. I think that might be it.

Is that something a bird left behind? No, it's an orange dog caterpillar, the larvae of the Giant Swallowtail butterfly, which is native to our area. Believe it or not, that caterpillar is about to transform into a beautiful blue and black butterfly.

Think of the orange dog as the ugly duckling of the caterpillar world. Found on all varieties of citrus leaves, these caterpillars begin life very small, with an irregular brown and white coloration camouflaging them to look almost exactly like a piece of bird excrement.
Giant swallowtails are primarily yellow and black, correct? I believe black swallowtails are blue and black. Though you seem to know more about them than I.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is what the bird poo will turn into. A Giant Swallowtail.

1688772899381.png

Latest posts

Top Bottom