So its down to these two scopes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmer17

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Very few 1-4X scopes are "true 1X" which means there is zero magnification and you can use it with both eyes open just like a red dot sight. This makes it very fast to use at close range or on moving targets and that is what all the 3-gun competitors want. Much as I love Leupold scopes, their 1X is more like 1.3X or 1.4X, and if I get a 1-4X scope I definitely want a "true 1x" setting. The 2-7X VX-I is one of the real sweet spots in the Leupold line and it is light and compact for its power, and the price is great for what you get. You might check on AR15.com in the optics forum, because there are several threads on 1-4X scopes and new scopes are coming on the market all the time since they becoming so popular.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Very few 1-4X scopes are "true 1X" which means there is zero magnification and you can use it with both eyes open just like a red dot sight. This makes it very fast to use at close range or on moving targets and that is what all the 3-gun competitors want. Much as I love Leupold scopes, their 1X is more like 1.3X or 1.4X, and if I get a 1-4X scope I definitely want a "true 1x" setting. The 2-7X VX-I is one of the real sweet spots in the Leupold line and it is light and compact for its power, and the price is great for what you get. You might check on AR15.com in the optics forum, because there are several threads on 1-4X scopes and new scopes are coming on the market all the time since they becoming so popular.

I fully grasp that and don't expect to get a true variable power optic that actually goes down to a true 1x for anywhere near the budget I'm looking at for right now.

I appreciate my Aimpoints and (before I sold it), my Eotech, so I'm used to a no-power magnification optic - I'm looking to try something out to see if it will work for both running/gunning and some hunting and this looked like the cheapest way to do it with a semi-quality optic (and etched glass).

I appreciate the input though - its still a tough choice and I'm trying to only buy one scope instead of both to see which one I like better.

Reaction score
My biggest problem with the 2-7x (aside from weight) is the Field of View and how that will affect my moving/shooting (since this is truly a multi-purpose rifle).

The biggest problem I have with the 1-4 is that I don't know if magnification will be enough for longer shots on animals like Coyotes (). I do plenty of long-range shooting and know the limitations of my eyes (even with clear glass). I prefer a 10x scope for 200-300yds and more for 500+ (especially if I'm measuring things for range-finding).

Sounds like you really need two rifles: A short-ranged one with a 1.0-4x or similar (say, with a 16" bbl), and a longer range one, with a 2-7 or 3-9 (perhaps with an 18-20" bbl). But if it's a true dual-purpose, I think you have to "round up" to the 2-7 or higher, to get a nice bead on a coyote as you mentioned, etc., at longer ranges. Anything past 50 or 75 yards, you'll be really glad to have more than 4x, for a precise shot. To solve a field of view issue, as you are concerned with, you should stick with a 2-7 but get a larger objective lens. No point in wasting all that space down to the rail with a tiny objective, on an AR15. Look for a 1.5-6x40 if you can find one, or for really what I think is perhaps the ultimate AR15 "all-purpose" scope - the

Nikon Omega / Slugmaster 1.65-5x36mm.

Only reason I didn't mention this before is because you were limiting it to those two. But if you are willing to expand a bit, this scope goes down lower than 2, all the way up to 5, has a large enough objective to offer a pretty wide field of view and exit pupil on 1.65x, and has a *tremendously* long range of eye reliefs you can use. So much so that you can mount it completely forward of the charging handle and thus low.

http://www.google.com/search?q=niko...-us&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=&startPage=1

At least, it's the ultimate until /unless you can afford this one (the TRUE ultimate all-purpose):

http://www.premierreticles.com/pdfs/2010-V81-8x.pdf

:)

Another option that I wouldn't discount completely out of hand is a standard 3-9x40, such as the Nikon Omega - good value for the money on this config, and you can engage close targets at 3x, albeit slightly slower.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Man I have a DMS-1 in a ADM mount that you can use to see if you like I have it on an AR that doesnt see much use right now. PM me if you want to.

Dustin

Thanks man, but I'm looking to go light-weight with etched-glass and magnification for now and I really dig the Turkey-Plex reticle on the VX-1.

jtischauser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
for a scope like you are describing that you want I would look at this one.

http://www.trijicon.com/user/parts/products1.cfm?PartID=675&back_row=0&categoryID=5

I like how you think bigjake. This us the exact scope I use on my competition rifle too bad for EZbake that it's $500 more than the glass he's looking at here.

No matter what scope you choose you need to bring it out to shoot the tactical/practical/ action style rifle match with us on June 20th out at OKC gun club. It will be the most fun you have ever had shooting your rifle. Here is a video from a match we shot down in TX that was very similar to what we will be shooting on the 20th.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMoSdUHv0mg&feature=youtube_gdata

Kelly Neal has a bunch more videos from that rifle match on his YouTube page. Check 'em out. For those of you that dont know the guys in the videos Kelly won that match and that Jerry guy is pretty good too and the guy name Kurt Miller ain't bad either. Kurt will be our Range Master for the June match at OKCGC.

Latest posts

Top Bottom