So I've taken up holster making.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dowmace

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Heres my first all leather holster, molding this wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Anyway if feels awesome, isn't nearly as cumbersome as a kydex holster feels to me. Enough blah blah onto the pics.

ai170.photobucket.com_albums_u276_dowmace_IMG_20110319_162957.jpg

ai170.photobucket.com_albums_u276_dowmace_IMG_20110319_163018.jpg

ai170.photobucket.com_albums_u276_dowmace_IMG_20110319_163056.jpg

Garand

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Where are you buying your leather and hardware?

I've made a few leather and kydex holsters as well and am always looking for the best prices on parts.

dowmace

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The clips grab good on the waist band of my wranglers, I picked the thinner ones with the little flip on the end so that my belt would squeeze them and keep the holster from sliding around too much. I may go to J-hooks though and see how much difference they make.

I bought all of the stuff at Tandy. Great place to buy leather supplies but the place is terribly uninviting if you haven't been there before, seems very cluttered, I know their prices aren't the best but they aren't terrible.

Garand

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
E.C. Leather on 6th between Lewis and Peoria is another great place to shop, they're a no-nonsense leather warehouse, so you need to know what you want when you go in, but its all much cheaper than Tandy.

K-Man

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
An all leather holster is going to mold to the body much easier and ultimately be more comfortable.

A couple of things you need to consider. The current set up shown in the pics is going to get loose in relatively short order. You need to learn how to stitch the two pieces together, especially around the frame of the gun.

The overall quality of the leather offered at Tandy and some other places is really poor quality, in all honesty. There is truly a marked difference between manufacturers/tanneries. Top quality leather will give you greater durability, function and form. The leather at Tandy is a good place to start, but you really don't want to spend much time, or money, there for leather, even if it is for projects for yourself. The only thing I buy from Tandy now is the BARGE cement, chicago screws, and spring belt clips. Also, you want to use clips that are coated. Otherwise those that you show, and others, will tear/scrap up a leather belt in a nanosecond.

dowmace

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
An all leather holster is going to mold to the body much easier and ultimately be more comfortable.

A couple of things you need to consider. The current set up shown in the pics is going to get loose in relatively short order. You need to learn how to stitch the two pieces together, especially around the frame of the gun.

The overall quality of the leather offered at Tandy and some other places is really poor quality, in all honesty. There is truly a marked difference between manufacturers/tanneries. Top quality leather will give you greater durability, function and form. The leather at Tandy is a good place to start, but you really don't want to spend much time, or money, there for leather, even if it is for projects for yourself. The only thing I buy from Tandy now is the BARGE cement, chicago screws, and spring belt clips. Also, you want to use clips that are coated. Otherwise those that you show, and others, will tear/scrap up a leather belt in a nanosecond.

Thank you very much for the tips, I have been looking at trying to stitch the holster I just haven't had time yet. I know there are definitely better options for leather and clips and things of that nature out there I just threw this together sort of as a proof of concept before spending too much cash on a complete nice setup for myself.

K-Man

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hand sewing is not easy at all, but with practice one can become fairly proficient with it. Your proof of concept is on the right track. We've offered that style of holster before.

Keep practicing!

Latest posts

Top Bottom