So what certification is required?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To be a basic gun safety/use instructor?
I've been asked to be one but I dont know that my many years of shooting qualify me at all.
New range, to be bought and paid for by a friend who works at a Police department, with full backing by the Chief.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can get certified through the NRA. USCCA now offers a certification as well. Randy Chapa is the state training counselor and runs several courses through OKC Gun club. You can do a full course covering all aspects in a 3 day course I believe. Thats the route I would go. You can then use that cert to be certified by CLEET and OSBI to teach the SDA course. Randy is on here, I'll see if I can find his U/N. He's a retired OCPD officer and was one of their firearms instructors, but his courses are prob posted on the OCGC site or NRA training site as well.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
^^^^^^^^

NRA certification class would be the place to start.
CLEET certificate would next. OSBI for SDA requires the NRA certificate.
Hunter Safety Instructor certificate is a 1 day class.
The classes are pretty basic and you most likely won't learn much, but the reinforcement is good.

As discussed in another thread, seeing some of the idiots that show up on ranges, more instructors and enforcement of draconian rules is needed.

Keep you busy and a worthwhile endeavor.

mtnboomr

Questionable Character
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to be NRA certified years ago, along with being a volunteer State Hunter Education Instructor, and the shooting instructor for The Last Frontier Council of BSA. But I let it all laps in the early 2000s.

Latest posts

Top Bottom