Some old automatics...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forindooruseonly

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Felt like posting some pics today. Did some in the rimfire sticky already and thought I'd start a thread here. I *really* like old automatics from the prewar era. I think they have a kind of timeless design that still is attractive today, and the craftsmanship is amazing. Here are some of my favorites. If I'm lucky, I'll get to pick up another prewar .32 next week...

Colt 1903 and 1908

ai13.photobucket.com_albums_a263_Forindooruseonly_Stuff4.jpg

Savage 1917 and 1907

ai13.photobucket.com_albums_a263_Forindooruseonly_Stuff6.jpg

I would love to see what other people's older guns are.

forindooruseonly

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It all starts with a tripod and NO flash. Its pretty simple. I used an 85mm lens, set up the tripod next to the table and composed the shot. Now the only tricky part is the light. I used a household lamp off to one side and the light in the ceiling to light the pic. You don't want to use a flash because it blows away all the texture and flattens out the image. I took these a year ago, so I don't remember the exact settings. You'll have to adjust the white balance of the camera, though, if you use electric lights, otherwise it'll be really orange.

Basically, you want the light to shine in a manner that creates shadows or dimmer areas. It gives it the texture you want. As far as composition goes, these were just thrown together on a boring afternoon. I suggest you don't use a wide angle lens, stick with at least a normal if not telephoto lens. Get close, so you can see some detail, and with rifles, it is hard to get the whole thing in a shot and not have gobs of empty, distracting space. The exception to this is when you are looking from very near the muzzle or from the stock down the rifle's lengths. Don't be afraid to focus on certain parts of the gun, be it just the action or the sight to something.

The ones in the rimfire section were taken on a dining room table with a large pane window to the side, eliminating the need for any type of unnatural light. The guns were not in the direct sunlight, so the light is actually softer and better looking. It gives the most natural look, but artificial lighting can be fun too. Artificial lights produce extreme highlights and reflections, while indirect sunlight minimizes those effects.

I have an ongoing project to take good pics of my guns, which stemmed out of the need to document them for insurance sake. I've always been interested in photography, cameras and guns have many similarities in my opinion, but the best way to learn is to try different things. I don't know what type of camera you will be using, so just stick with the tripod, turn the flash off, get close, and try different directions of lighting to see what works.

forindooruseonly

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks, those are some of my favorites. One is a .32 and the other is a .380, the .32 are pretty common and less expensive than the .380s. Seen a couple of good ones in the 600 to 700 range lately. Like all colt things, condition is a big factor. Saw some at Wannemachers that were mechanically ok but with lots of finish wear for around 400. A mint example will fetch a thousand or more. They also made them with wood and mother of pearl grips, but I prefer the gutta percha ones pictured. They are also easy to carry, because they are super slim. I have another that is reblued that I want to turn into a full time carry gun.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I agree about not using the flash, and staying out of direct sunlight when possible. I prefer taking outdoor pictures on an overcast day, as it's easier to get good shots. I want to get some practice taking indoor shots, and yours look really good.

Gunrunner45

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
forindooruseonly,

Awesome! Your .380 hammerless is in much better shape than mine. Is the finish on yours original?

I got mine from my Grandfather and its seen some use. It has an NYC PD serial # stamped on it.

Very cool, thanks!

Tampabucs

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks, those are some of my favorites. One is a .32 and the other is a .380, the .32 are pretty common and less expensive than the .380s. Seen a couple of good ones in the 600 to 700 range lately. Like all colt things, condition is a big factor. Saw some at Wannemachers that were mechanically ok but with lots of finish wear for around 400. A mint example will fetch a thousand or more. They also made them with wood and mother of pearl grips, but I prefer the gutta percha ones pictured. They are also easy to carry, because they are super slim. I have another that is reblued that I want to turn into a full time carry gun.

Thanks for the info. They both look immaculate.

Latest posts

Top Bottom