Something to consider before you decide to OC

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ya Know , Ill probably never open carry (I like the advantage of concealed)
But I get tired of the ...Why you shouldnt OC crowd, Its your right ..do what you wanna do!
Any scenerio can put you at a dis-advantage, or its OK if it just prints a little, or your shirt rides up and your gun is exposed....ad naseum
I think your preaching to the choir on here.
edit: OK some people may not know these things , and this is where they learn them...Good Point OP ;)

EhlerDave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I am carrying concealed and anyone who knows calls the police they will find me with a gun so I am still in the same boat. I dont worry about that stuff.

10Seconds

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are some folks that offer training(actual LEO's, Military, and so on) that consider OC to be detrimental to your safety.
OC gives up your tactial advantage by the bad guy knowing who has a weapon.
We can work this scenerio a dozen different ways, but the actual court cases might be a good way to start.
I suspect there aren't many? Perhaps some of our members that are versed in looking up legal stuff might help?

And there are some who offer training that claim thw opposite too, that OC can make you less of a target as the perp will move on to easier pickings.

As a lawyer I do not see the scenario in the original post going against OC. An arrest in that type of situation would be rare and unless shots were fired I dont see the DA wanting it either.

LBnM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'll only open carry in the woods but I have no problem with those that want to, even if they want to carry a CCW badge. It's their right. It's the law. If you want to, okay. If not, okay. I don't know how something the OP stated would play out. Court cases will eventually tell. I'm just getting tired of the whole back and forth BS, especially that it is the right of anyone to carry in a store which posts against it. The property owners have the right to not allow it. Remember, No Shoes, No Shirt, No Service. There is no doubt many of the gun buster signs recently posted are in response to the law passing. It's getting sort of tiresome that this much back and forth is on OSA. There are a world of other gun-related topics and issues to address. I know someone will say that I don't have to spend my time here but you should also know I spend a whole lot less time than I used to. There are lots of other good forums out there.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll only open carry in the woods but I have no problem with those that want to, even if they want to carry a CCW badge. It's their right. It's the law. If you want to, okay. If not, okay. I don't know how something the OP stated would play out. Court cases will eventually tell. I'm just getting tired of the whole back and forth BS, especially that it is the right of anyone to carry in a store which posts against it. The property owners have the right to not allow it. Remember, No Shoes, No Shirt, No Service. There is no doubt many of the gun buster signs recently posted are in response to the law passing. It's getting sort of tiresome that this much back and forth is on OSA. There are a world of other gun-related topics and issues to address. I know someone will say that I don't have to spend my time here but you should also know I spend a whole lot less time than I used to. There are lots of other good forums out there.

Yup ...

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
:soapbox: I sure wish the anti-open carry crowd would stop worrying and complaining about the well being and safety of those who open carry. So what if some stranger you don't know decides to legally open carry? So what if they get targeted by some bad guy because of their OC weapon? So what if they get hurt or killed because they were open carrying? Why should that matter one darn bit to you or me? If they get hurt or killed because they decided to OC.. that is entirely between them, the bad guy and the legal system. It wouldn't have one thing to do with you or me personally.... or how we feel about OC or if we open carry or not ourselves. I don't care one bit if someone else wants to open carry, conceal carry or not carry at all. I've got enough concerns just looking out for the safety of my family & myself. Let strangers make their own decisions on OC versus CC versus not carrying at all.

And all this wasted energy telling people how wrong they are about Open Carry assumes that some stranger who has decided to OC actually gives a D@mn what you or I think. I can tell you, they don't care. If they want to OC legally, then they will no matter what you or I think. So why waste all the effort getting worked up over the topic? This is one horse that gets beaten to death over & over again. Let it die already.

If I'm someplace where a person is either conceal carrying or open carrying---- bad guy or good guy... if they suddenly have a gun in their hand, then I'll grab mine too. The way I look at this argument is at least if they are open carrying, then I can see when their hand is reaching for a gun in its holster. Maybe I'll have a second or 2 warning. But with a concealed handgun, I probably wouldn't know if the gun was in their hand until their finger was already on the trigger and it was suddenly being pointed at me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom