Sound Advise

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1646984085791-png.947861

Louro

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a friend do that. He call me to tell that he shot a big buck. I call him back that evening and he told me that he never find the buck. LOL

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a friend do that. He call me to tell that he shot a big buck. I call him back that evening and he told me that he never find the buck. LOL
I’m on a TX Bowhunting message board, and it happens on there A BUNCH. They do these “live” threads and post from their stand, and when they shoot, they start bragging about “smoking him” and high fiving only to have to call in a tracking dog. About half the time, they never find the deer. It’s sad but hilarious to watch at the same time.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It took me a few years to drill it into my buddies head quit taking bad shots.
You will have to track the deer and chances are if you did not take the shot the deer will come back and present a better shot.

He actually passed up a few shots last year and year before. I am proud of him for not feeding the coyotes.

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Never have bow hunted but with a scoped rifle or handgun I prefer to hunt for my deer prior to pulling the trigger not after so I've always taken neck shots and they drop where they stand instantly.

Some are critical of taking necks shots saying that the target area is small and can result in wounded deer but to those people I say.........practice more, know your limitations and if you feel the shot is the least bit iffy let the deer walk (as I have many times) and wait for the next opportunity.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Never have bow hunted but with a scoped rifle or handgun I prefer to hunt for my deer prior to pulling the trigger not after so I've always taken neck shots and they drop where they stand instantly.

Some are critical of taking necks shots saying that the target area is small and can result in wounded deer but to those people I say.........practice more, know your limitations and if you feel the shot is the least bit iffy let the deer walk (as I have many times) and wait for the next opportunity.
For me, neck and head shot are reserved for does and pigs. If I’m shooting at a buck, there’s a better than average chance it’s going to be shoulder mounted, so I don’t want to mess up the cape.

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For me, neck and head shot are reserved for does and pigs. If I’m shooting at a buck, there’s a better than average chance it’s going to be shoulder mounted, so I don’t want to mess up the cape.
I've seen the pics of some of the big bucks you harvest on your property so not wanting to mess up a mount is completely understandable.

Rertieverman 10-6-2021 bow.jpeg

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score

Oh I've tracked MANY deer that were shot with rifles and pistols. 10x as many than those shot with a bow or crossbow. Anything can and will happen at some point in one's hunting career. Happens to some more than others.

Latest posts

Top Bottom