Southern Poverty Law Center Transfers Millions in Cash to Offshore Entities

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would maintain there is no such thing as a "not-for-profit entity". "Non-profit" is a legal term, not a moral choice.
There are true, not for profit entity's. Mostly small grass root organizations that serve local municipalities with services.
It seems when they grow beyond their local scope of responsibilities, they feel the need to start paying someone to run the organization, then an assistant is needed, and it grows from there.

RugersGR8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.weeklystandard.com/the-s...s-69-million-parked-overseas/article/2009553#!
The Southern Poverty Law Center Has $69 Million Parked Overseas
12:02 PM, Sep 06, 2017 | By Jeryl Bier

..."Although SPLC president Cohen's asserts that the group’s practice is “common,” at least one other large civil rights organization completely eschews the practice. The American Civil Liberties Union and related ACLU Foundation have combined assets of more than $250 million, but both 990s filed by the groups answer "no" to a question about "aggregate foreign investments valued at $100,000 or more."...

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Better than last year, but still not enough to make a decent profit for all the work. I'm thinking a buck an hour for wages?
Enjoy your Artisan bread.

The nurses for the non-profit group I work with providing sexual assault and domestic violence services make $1 per hour to be on-call 24/7/365. And we are struggling just to keep the organization afloat with even that paltry stipend. We were only a couple of weeks from going bankrupt just last month. If any of ya'll have had an experience with trying to raise money for a non-profit organization that supports a cause most people find too uncomfortable to even acknowledge, much less discuss at their organizational board meetings and such, you know what I mean.

Meanwhile, the local charity for physically abused children (not sexually abused, that's our area, too) has enough cash to be breaking ground on new facilities... while we have to borrow a room from them just to meet once a month. :( Some of our priorities in this country really ****ing suck.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The nurses for the non-profit group I work with providing sexual assault and domestic violence services make $1 per hour to be on-call 24/7/365. And we are struggling just to keep the organization afloat with even that paltry stipend. We were only a couple of weeks from going bankrupt just last month. If any of ya'll have had an experience with trying to raise money for a non-profit organization that supports a cause most people find too uncomfortable to even acknowledge, much less discuss at their organizational board meetings and such, you know what I mean.

Meanwhile, the local charity for physically abused children (not sexually abused, that's our area, too) has enough cash to be breaking ground on new facilities... while we have to borrow a room from them just to meet once a month. :( Some of our priorities in this country really ****ing suck.
You talking Peach Tree Landing in Ponca? My cousin is on the board or directors.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
No, this is in Bartlesville. I'm the medical director for S.A.F.E.-NOW, which does SANE exams for Nowata, Osage and Washington counties. Some of the Osage folks go over to Ponca, naturally, though.

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here is a C&P of a post I made on a largely-British website.

If I might, I'd urge the esteemed Mr Mercado to be careful of using figures from the ADL, and especially the Southern Poverty Law Center*. Both of these organizations started with a noble purpose: the ending of discrimination. But with their main goals--the enactment of some very strong laws against discrimination--accomplished, the view by many is that they struggle to remain relevant and so perhaps in an effort to show their relevance, and induce people to fund them, they exaggerate the problem.

I note, for example that SPLC includes in their list of 'hate' groups, the Family Research Council. The reason they were included is because they support the Biblical definition of marraige as between a man and a woman. Thus, accordng to the logic of SPLC, they hate gays. Howard Phillips Taxpayer Party was also included at one time.

Now some honestly deserve their place on the SPLC list, such as the KKK, the neo-Nazis, and that odious Phelps group in Topeka, Kansas. And, to be fair, they also include several Black nationalist groups as well. But the threat of violence that these lunatic groups pose is, in my opinion, not great.

The motivation to over-state the threat posed by RW extremists (whom I thoroughly detest, BTW) would seem to be there. Plus, the media, especially here, is infested with what former CBS news reporter Bernie Goldberg calls 'good racial manners'. He defines that term as avoiding coverage that they feel could lead to creating or reinforcing negative ethnic stereotypes. Black people, for example, are typically portrayed as constant victims of White racism. If a Black person is targetted by a White mob, it is widely heralded as an example of Black victimization that we are told is part and parcel of being Black in America. So, it would stand to reason, then that accounts of Klan violence would be blasted over the airwaves, and splashed across the front page. The paucity of media coverage leads me to believe that such events are not quite so common as the ADL and similar groups would have us believe.

My point is to take what the ADL, and especially SPLC says with a lot of salt. They might very sincerely believe that an epidemic of racial violence exists in the USA. But believing it, however sincerely, does not necessarily make it so.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
http://freebeacon.com/issues/southe...nsfers-millions-in-cash-to-offshore-entities/
Southern Poverty Law Center Transfers Millions in Cash to Offshore Entities
BY: Joe Schoffstall
August 31, 2017 5:00 am

..."I've never known a US-based nonprofit dealing in human rights or social services to have any foreign bank accounts," said Amy Sterling Casil, CEO of Pacific Human Capital, a California-based nonprofit consulting firm. "My impression based on prior interactions is that they have a small, modestly paid staff, and were regarded by most in the industry as frugal and reliable. I am stunned to learn of transfers of millions to offshore bank accounts. It is a huge red flag and would have been completely unacceptable to any wealthy, responsible, experienced board member who was committed to a charitable mission who I ever worked with."

"It is unethical for any US-based charity to invest large sums of money overseas," said Casil. "I know of no legitimate reason for any US-based nonprofit to put money in overseas, unregulated bank accounts."...
Could this be part of the reason?

https://dailycaller.com/2019/04/05/...ush&utm_source=daily_caller&utm_campaign=push

From my linked article.

The board and senior leadership of the SPLC has for years been stacked with friends and allies of the disgraced founder Morris Dees. Dees, according to two letters by staffers, had been accused in “multiple reports of sexual harassment by Dees through the years [which] had been ignored or covered up, and sometimes resulted in retaliation against the women making the claims,” according to The New Yorker.

I'm not saying it's a fact, but US courts have no legal sway in foreign countries, so it could make it much harder to take money in foreign accounts.

Latest posts

Top Bottom