Space junk

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Reddog, are you out there? I'm scared that space junk is fixin to crash down on me at any moment. It'ould be just my luck that thing would come crashing down at Ignorant Bend.

J.P.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There was a story about it on NPR yesterday morning and apparently a lady from Tulsa was actually struck by falling space debris....and according to the story, the only person in the entrie world to have ever been struck by such.
I don't recall what year it happened but the lady said she was outside walking and witnessed what she believed to be a more extravagant than ordinary shooting star.
Then she claims she felt a "tap" on the shoulder at wheich point she turned around to find nobody there.....except upon the ground was a piece of meshlike material which ended up being from a falling rocket, sattleite...or whatever.
Interesting I thought.
A scientist speaking during the NPR story said whoever witnesses the latest falling debris is in for a rather spectacular lightshow....so we should keep track of it and hope we are in an area to be fortunate enough to see it.
I don't think we want this one to hit us tho', because apparently the chunks of it that will actually collide with Earth are large enough to injure or possibly kill a human. :shocked:

On another note.....
When the shuttle burnt up upon re-entry, some debris from it landed on my grandmother's car.
It was more like a grey/silver oily film.
She put on some rubber gloves and wiped the windshield, door/doorhandle off with a paper towel, placed the gloves/towel in a freezerbag and went diredtly to the carwash to clean it off.
Shortly thereafter she heard NASA officials asking the public to report and findings.....she went out to retrieve the freezerbag and discovered that the rubber gloves that she placed inside were almost completely dissolved. :shocked:
IIRC, she called the "hotline" and they said they'd come investigate but nothing ever happened.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They say its because of the trajectory. What time? I'd like to see the light show.

BTW anybody remember the Sky Lab re-entry? It was in the 80's. People all over the country had Sky Lab parties, and the company I was with at the time did the same. We all had hard hats with lots of food and kegs of beer to celebrate our demise? Fun times. :D

Latest posts

Top Bottom