Spotlighting wildlife

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Help me out I’m having a brain fart.
Can you spotlight deer and other wildlife at night for purposes other than hunting?
ie to just look at them?

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Help me out I’m having a brain fart.
Can you spotlight deer and other wildlife at night for purposes other than hunting?
ie to just look at them?
I do not know for sure but I would think if you do not have a gun with you it would be legal.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If it is illegal just think of all the people that could be arrested for shining a flashlight on animals in their backyard.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score

Headlighting / Spotlighting​

No person may attempt to take, take, attempt to catch, catch, attempt to capture, capture, attempt to kill, or kill any deer, feral animal or other wildlife, except fish and frogs or except as provided by law, by the use of a vehicle-mounted spotlight or other powerful light at night, by what is commonly known as “headlighting” (or “spotlighting”) or use any light enhancement device (night scope). Provided, however, nothing in this code shall prevent one from possessing a .22 caliber rimfire rifle or .22 caliber rimfire pistol and a light carried on his person while in pursuit of furbearers with hounds during the legal open furbearer season, while possessing a valid hunting license and fur license, unless exempt. Except during deer gun seasons, a landowner, agricultural lessee, or their designated agent with written permission from the landowner or agricultural lessee may control nuisance or damage by coyotes or feral swine without a permit during the day or night, and without limitation by statewide season regulations or bag limits, and with the use of any legal means of take, to protect marketable agricultural crops, livestock or processed feed, seed, or other materials used in the production of an agricultural commodity. Landowners or agricultural lessees performing nuisance control activities shall be required to have a current agricultural exemption permit issued by the Oklahoma Tax Commission. A landowner, agricultural lessee, or designated agent of the landowner or lessee may use a headlight, thermal, or light enhancement device carried on the person, a vehicle with or without a mounted spotlight or night vision equipment while controlling nuisance coyotes and feral swine at night.

Latest posts

Top Bottom