Spotlighting wildlife

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Decoligny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Iirc the word "harass" used to be the wording.
Here is the text from the law current as of 2023.

The only reference to harassment deals with using a motor vehicle to harass in section C.

Section 5-203.1 - "Headlighting"

A. Except as provided in Section 3 of this act, no person may attempt to take, take, attempt to catch, catch, attempt to capture, capture, attempt to kill or kill any deer, feral animal or other wildlife except fish and frogs by the use of a vehicle-mounted spotlight or other powerful light at night, by what is commonly known as "headlighting". Provided, however, nothing in this section shall prevent one from possessing a .22 caliber rimfire rifle or .22 pistol and a light carried while in pursuit of furbearers with hounds during the legal, open furbearers season, while possessing a valid hunting license.
B.
It shall be illegal to hunt from a boat with a firearm from sunset until one-half (1/2) hour before sunrise. This shall not pertain to hunting of waterfowl enroute from bank to blind with unloaded shotguns.

C. Except as provided for in this section and in Section 3 of this act, no person may harass, attempt to capture, capture, attempt to take or take, kill or attempt to kill any wildlife with the aid of any motor-driven land, air or water conveyance. A nonambulatory person may hunt from said conveyances with written permission of the Director of Wildlife Conservation. A person may hunt from an air conveyance if issued a permit pursuant to Section 4-107.2 of this title. Nothing in this section shall prevent the use of motor-driven land or water conveyances for following dogs in the act of hunting, when use is restricted to public roads or waterways. Motor-driven land or water conveyances may be used on private property for following dogs in the act of hunting with the permission of the landowner or occupant.

TeamTomlyn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As long as you are not hunting, impeding traffic or trespassing I dont think a judge has any reason to hang ya. Now Barney Fife might take another attitude to you just slinging a light around his town.

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As long as you are not hunting, impeding traffic or trespassing I dont think a judge has any reason to hang ya. Now Barney Fife might take another attitude to you just slinging a light around his town.
Plus, it’s not like I ever carry guns around, on my person or in my vehicle, so it’s not
Like some game warden in a bad mood would make life hard for me. 😅

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It would be really hard to prove in court what you were looking for or at. As long as your are not chasing them I don't see the problem.
A possum cop would harass you every bit as much as he felt like you were harassing the deer

You wouldn’t be able to prove in court that he was harassing you anymore than he could prove you were harassing the wildlife.

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I go out at least once a week and spotlight open pastures looking at deer and seeing how many coyotes I can spot, and have never had any issues in doing so, but I do NOT carry a firearm with me in doing so.

I was stopped once last month and once the month before, by a Game Warden and Deputy Sheriff respectively, wanting to know what I was doing and what I was looking for. I told them that I looking for and watching deer and coyotes. They asked me if I had any firearms on my person or in my vehicle, and I said no. They asked if they could do a quick search of my vehicle, and I politely gave them my permission. They did a quick check that took all 30 seconds at most.

Before leaving, they said not to shine a light toward anyone's house or at any vehicles and to enjoy my night.

Other than these last two times, it has probably been 20 years or better since I stopped for spotlighting.

It only stands to reason though, that if you are spotlighting with a 15 million candlepower spotlight, it it is going to attract some attention!

Latest posts

Top Bottom