Springfield Hi-Power??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just curious all you who are so hung ho and excited...is it because of the price point?

It's cool but not like its earthshattering. I think it's cool they're going to continue on the platform but there no shortage of Hi powers out there.

From what I've seen there IS a shortage of HiPowers..... and those that want to sell them know it. I've wanted a Nighthawk HP for awhile but couldn't find a reasonable base.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just curious all you who are so hung ho and excited...is it because of the price point?

It's cool but not like its earthshattering. I think it's cool they're going to continue on the platform but there no shortage of Hi powers out there.
I paid over $500 for my first Hi Power in 1983. Then I spent about $200 replacing the worthless adjustable rear sight, having the ramp/chamber polished to reliably feed HP's, and the action job done so the trigger pull was decent and the mags dropped free. That would be about $1,925 in today's money. A quick look at the current BHP market shows they're running about $1,200 and up for a decent example. If you then sent it to a recognized HP 'smith, you'd be adding another $600-$1,500 to the price. So a brand new, "fixed" HP with an MSRP of $699 may not be "earthshattering", but it's definitely a big deal!

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Interesting stuff. If one does a search for the Girsan MC P-35, one of the images you will see is almost a mirror image to the Springfield ad--guy sitting in front of a work bench, picture of JMB next to a digital clock reading "19:35", long gun leaning against the end of the bench. Differences? In the Girsan ad, the back of the guy's shirt has "EAA" imprinted on it in bold white letters, and the gun leaning against the bench is a shotgun rather than an M1A. Otherwise, they appear to be the same photo. One or the other ad photo-shopped? Or, is SA's pistol made by Girsan (in Turkey)? But why sell a pistol to a competitor, than come out with your own? Hmmm.... Just looked at the Springfield site and it says, "Made in the USA". This is getting more and more interesting.

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

With a lot of gun enthusiasts it's absolutely about the price point (even if they can afford top of the line original stuff).
This version from SA also looks like it comes from the factory with features not all BHP's have (bigger sights, extended thumb safety, no mag safety, checkered wood grips).
I'll let somebody else be the guinea pig and buy the first one but if the SA version also has a hammer that doesn't bite the hand that feeds it, I might have to pry my wallet open.

Cat City Slim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
With a lot of gun enthusiasts it's absolutely about the price point (even if they can afford top of the line original stuff).
This version from SA also looks like it comes from the factory with features not all BHP's have (bigger sights, extended thumb safety, no mag safety, checkered wood grips).
I'll let somebody else be the guinea pig and buy the first one but if the SA version also has a hammer that doesn't bite the hand that feeds it, I might have to pry my wallet open.
I've loved Hi-Powers for years but could never the justify the cost of a Browning or FN. Even the roached police turn-ins from Isreal have been selling for $550 and up. Even the FEG copies have been selling for $450 and up. Being able to buy a new, well-made version under $700 sounds awesome.

Latest posts

Top Bottom