Squirrel dogs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crawdad

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
As to your question I have no idea, I just wanted to know where a guy could learn about squirrel dogs? I have trained pointers for 20+ years and have given it up due to bird numbers but miss watching dogs work.

Well some people are die-hard fans of certain breeds of dogs when it comes to treeing dogs. I've had bluetick hounds, and black&tan hounds that were good treeing dogs on both squirrels and coons. But the absolute best squirrel treeing dog I ever had was a brittany spaniel. She treed by site and she would hang with them no matter how tricky they could get. In fact, I used her to get coon dogs started on and then switch over to coon.

Basically just about any mutt will tree squirrels with a little trainning. This Rat terrior I have, I started it out with a road kill squirrel. Found one on the road near my house and skinned it out. I let the dog eat the meat so it would get a good taste of squirrel meat. Then I took the hide and slipped it over a 20 ounce pop bottle in which I hung from a tree limb and would tease the dog with it. After that, I would periodically take it out squirrel hunting.

The biggest problem I've had with trainning the dog is that it was very gun shy. It might tree a squirrel but as soon as I would start to raise the rifle, the dog would run away. He has gotten over it quit a bit now and doesn't run off when I'm shooting at the squirrel now.

Squirrel dogs are a great joy to watch when treeing squirrels. You'll have to try it!

crawdad

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
i have a blue heeler at my parents house that is an excellent squirrel dog.

Blue heelers do make good squirrel dogs. I had a friend who owned one and it was a very good squirrel treeing dog. I pleaded and pleaded for my friend to sell me his dog, but it was also one of his best cattle dogs too. So he never gave in and kept the dog.

bink98xcab

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
well i'll say that my pit bull has one good thing goin for him, and thats tree'n squirrels i mean all day non stop, drives me crazy to hear him bark n the yard everyday, so maybe its not a good thing for me or him

crawdad

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
look up Original Mountain Cur, I got mine last year from a couple in Haskel. Great allaround dog and a dang good on treeing so far.

I have the couples information if you are interested.

Yes, if you don't mind, I would love that info. Also, how much did you give for your dog if you don't mind me asking. If you do, then pm me.

there was a group of guys having a field trial every saturday around talihina back in the summer they were using jack russell and fiests at one time there were about 20-25 people going i can,t remember the guys name that started it they would even go over into arkansas and hunt the next time i'm down home i'll try to find out more info one of my highschool buddies was hunting it

Yes, please keep me in mind if you find out. Talahina is a little far out from me but I might be able to join a occasional hunt with them once in a while.

Latest posts

Top Bottom