Squirrel hunting without killing a mama?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How did you care for your orphaned squirrels?

I’m pretty sure I became a squirrel dad this morning. I found him and sat him back under his tree yesterday morning. This morning I was out with the kids and could hear a squirrel screaming bloody murder so I went and found him before a cat got him. He looks dehydrated and gaunt. I gave him some nuts and granola and water and he ate and drank. He’s just chilling in his Amazon box for now. I think hes 10ish weeks old?View attachment 503182
I hear they make a great pet when caught young like this. I'd love to have a pet squirrel

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's probably the top of the airgun game...very costly, I'm staying humble for now so I can be closer to what I used when I was a kid. It is amazing what you can do with a sub 100 dollar gun. HOWEVER, when I think of airforce, I think of big bore and hog hunting so that's a whole different area of airguns I have never explored.

A lot depends on intent and budget. A lot of the issues with 22 can be overcome with a more expensive rifle...A lot of the issues around 22 are using the same power plant as 177. On a lower-end gun, some people would rather have the accuracy that comes with the faster, flatter 177. But if you have a high-end gun that has plenty of power for the 22, then the 22 can better overcome the complaints and shoot flatter.

Otherwise, if not getting something like a Benjamin Armada PCP rifle in 22, you can just keep your shots closer out of a lower-powered 22 gun.

ORRRR, you can just use heavies in the 177 and have the best of both worlds to some degree. You need 5-6ft/lbs (at range) for a clean kill on a squirrel from my research. A 10.5gr 177 pellet out of a decent powered rifle can make up for a lot.

But CHenry is correct about 22 having more "thud". As long as shots are close, or you have a higher-powered gun to push the 22. You just don't want something pushing a 22 that can't penetrate well at range. I'd take a 177 over 22 for a longer shot out of the SAME power plant; especially a 177 w/ the right weight pellet.

I picked up a Beeman R9 177 cal. It’s not cheap but worth every penny. I use the heavier pellets and can count on head shots out to about 40yds. I got it to more or less quietly keep the squirrel population down in my pecan trees.

THE JOKER

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No crazy expensive camo is required for any game. A plad shirt breaks up your body outline and animals are all color blind lol. A call is required but its an art to use one I have learned. We hunted with a friend who was a master with a call box. He called em in right to us and as long as you dont move, they wont see ya.
Birds have color vision superior to ours

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes the season dates protect against this however, I did shoot a pregnant one once. Felt bad gutting that and finding 5 fetuses inside. Thats the only time it ever happend and dad and I hunted squirrel many years when I was younger. I loved eating them but hated skinning them. I'd rather take a butt woopin than skin a squirrel.
Ha! Me, too! I’ve been known to pass up good shots ‘cause I was afraid I might hit that sucker and have to clean it.
My Grandpa had a special nail hammered in a big old Blackjack tree down by the barn for cleaning squirrels. He could clean a couple squirrels while I was looking for my nail.
God, thank you for this great life you’ve given me!

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
this thread has rekindled my desire to decrease the squirrel population here. I have 4 mature pecan trees that I have yet ever gotten a pecan off of. They get them every year. I'm looking at a lot of paper shells hanging on the tree now knowing if I do nothing I'll probably not get any again this year. I just set some traps near the tree and pulled out the pellet gun......so it begins.

Latest posts

Top Bottom