Started a kid on reloading the other night.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A family friend brought his .22-250 and some empties over Thursday night and I set up the press and worked him through the process. He was attentive and took his time. A gunsmith from Ada built the rifle for him several years ago, if I remember right it is a Parker-Hale action. Been several years since I've shot it, but I got some 3/4 inch groups with it.

We had one little oddity though. Two of his empties were Winchester brass, the rest were Remington. Neither of the Winchester brass reloads would chamber in his rifle. I measured the bases and necks and the Winchester brass was actually a bit smaller than the Remington. COAL was the same. It did appear from holding two side by side that the shoulder on the Winchester was just a tad bit higher than on the Remington. I even pulled a bullet from one, resized it, and it still wouldn't chamber. He told me he'd bought a box of Winchester shells, and one of them wouldn't chamber, but the rest did.

It was suggested on another forum that I should run the sizing die down another half turn. If the shell holder touches the base of the die anyway, how would running it down help?

Latest posts

Top Bottom