State Schrool Superintendent Race

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lone Wolf '49

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mrs. Lone Wolf is an Alternative Ed teacher, not that it makes a difference here, but I know of no teacher that voted for the current Barressi (SP) in the first time around. This is one of those vote for the lesser of two evil elections.

Wheel Gun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hate to say this, but it seems like a Democrat will best serve education as a leader. Look what our former Governor Brad Henry did for education, it was a lot more than any other governor in Oklahoma history, he was a Democrat.

Well, during Henry's tenure, his priorities were the unions, the lottery and the (union) teachers. The teachers and unions turned out big for him at the ballot box and funded his campaigns. So, if teacher pay is one's priority, the Dem party is the place to go. I'm not in the education field, but I've just never been convinced that the teachers' union is necessarily aligned with better education for our kiddos. But, what do I know? Your mileage may vary and I'll still be your friend.

Lone Wolf '49

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, during Henry's tenure, his priorities were the unions, the lottery and the (union) teachers. The teachers and unions turned out big for him at the ballot box and funded his campaigns. So, if teacher pay is one's priority, the Dem party is the place to go. I'm not in the education field, but I've just never been convinced that the teachers' union is necessarily aligned with better education for our kiddos. But, what do I know? Your mileage may vary and I'll still be your friend.

I hate unions but my wife had to join it. I agree with you 100%. The tenure thing in Public Schools and Universities is so well, how can I put it nicely: I can't. Bad teachers get to collect a salary and pensions.

Fatboy Joe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife is a teacher and we obviously have several friends that are teachers. I also have an 8 year old daughter who is going into the 4th grade (she skipped kindergarden).

The first problem lies at home. Parents are so busy and the kids are so busy that education takes a back seat. How many kids don't do their homework until right before bedtime? The worst time to learn is when you are tired. Parents should take a more active role in their children's education. My wife tells me the parents who ask questions and are involved, their kids usually do well. Kids that are near flunking (they don't flunk them anymore) their parents never ask about grades.

Second, when my daughter brought home her math work for 3rd grade I am a freaking CPA and couldn't understand it. She explained it to me, and I quickly said, "here is the easy way to figure it out". And this was with simple multiplication facts. I told her it was called memory. We use it from time to time to remember things.

Nighthawk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oklahoma Educators Association (OEA), is run by former teachers for teachers. Many of them are former female grade school teachers.

The public that is not involved in education, and have never taught are the ones against OEA or as they call it 'The Union'. I have never seen anything but good come from OEA. They are in place to protect teacher rights.

Tenure, why do we have it, it is because schools look at money, and if they can get rid of a teacher after 2 years to keep low salaries in the budget they will. I worked as a teacher in other states that had no union and no tenure, on the average they did not keep a teacher for more than 2 years.

Teachers are paid by taxes, does anyone one like paying taxes? Does anyone like to pay teachers salaries?

I have seen many of my teacher friends leave Oklahoma to go to Texas so that they will get a higher salary. We have lost many of our good educators to states that pay a higher salary and do to the teachers seeing what other professions that require the same amount of education pay.

I taught because I loved teaching, when I retired I had a rude awaking about how little I was being paid. Mainly because after I retired I was offered jobs that required the same amount of education paying 2 and 3 times what I made as a teacher.

Many people on the outside looking in say things like 'oh but you get 2 months off in the summer'. That is so funny because teachers are required to get continuing education to keep their jobs, when is that done? In college courses taken in that 2 months you have off in the summer, and at your own expense.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oklahoma Educators Association (OEA), is run by former teachers for teachers. Many of them are former female grade school teachers.

The public that is not involved in education, and have never taught are the ones against OEA or as they call it 'The Union'. I have never seen anything but good come from OEA. They are in place to protect teacher rights.

Tenure, why do we have it, it is because schools look at money, and if they can get rid of a teacher after 2 years to keep low salaries in the budget they will. I worked as a teacher in other states that had no union and no tenure, on the average they did not keep a teacher for more than 2 years.

Teachers are paid by taxes, does anyone one like paying taxes? Does anyone like to pay teachers salaries?

I have seen many of my teacher friends leave Oklahoma to go to Texas so that they will get a higher salary. We have lost many of our good educators to states that pay a higher salary and do to the teachers seeing what other professions that require the same amount of education pay.

I taught because I loved teaching, when I retired I had a rude awaking about how little I was being paid. Mainly because after I retired I was offered jobs that required the same amount of education paying 2 and 3 times what I made as a teacher.

Many people on the outside looking in say things like 'oh but you get 2 months off in the summer'. That is so funny because teachers are required to get continuing education to keep their jobs, when is that done? In college courses taken in that 2 months you have off in the summer, and at your own expense.

Good points on the cutting teachers after a few years. Same BS in the world of production. "conservatives" often don't get the union thing, because egregious examples are trotted out as "the norm". My company just laid off over a hundred folks in the last two months - cuts that hurt, 'cuz the dead weight was gone long ago. For the most part, the older, bigger paycheck folks got the cut. Luckily I have a specialty, that gives a little cover during these times.

Scottydog

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dennis check this link out. Never mind the big brother BS, common core is the stupidest **** I've ever seen. Anybody that thinks this is a good way to teach should be committed.

The New Math

Go to the link above and read the comments below the article. One by a person named Chris Mango, an educator, explains the CC and where it came from. If used properly, it can help many kids due to its inherent use of reading and other parts of a problem. Also, those examples shown, as he stated, likely came from a midterm test due to lack of explanation. Just read the comments.

53convert

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hoffmeister sounds good to me.
WIfe is a teacher and NOT in the union. She cant stand Barresii.
THere is another candidate named Brian Kelly. FOrmer educator and busineman......also looks very good,
He does NOT have a D in front of his name

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Go to the link above and read the comments below the article. One by a person named Chris Mango, an educator, explains the CC and where it came from. If used properly, it can help many kids due to its inherent use of reading and other parts of a problem. Also, those examples shown, as he stated, likely came from a midterm test due to lack of explanation. Just read the comments.

I have a family member that's an assistant principal, so I know the "theology" behind it. I'm convinced that the people that come up with this crap are just looking to enhance their resume, get recognition in their field or justify their position. Something along those lines anyway. Bottom line and indisputable fact is that kids that learned on the "old math" (multiplication tables, number line, etc.) built the Hoover Dam, put men on the moon, invented the computer and made us the richest nation with the easiest lifestyle and longest life expectancy in the history of man. The problem isn't in the curriculum...

jmike314

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a family member that's an assistant principal, so I know the "theology" behind it. I'm convinced that the people that come up with this crap are just looking to enhance their resume, get recognition in their field or justify their position. Something along those lines anyway. Bottom line and indisputable fact is that kids that learned on the "old math" (multiplication tables, number line, etc.) built the Hoover Dam, put men on the moon, invented the computer and made us the richest nation with the easiest lifestyle and longest life expectancy in the history of man. The problem isn't in the curriculum...
yes....absolutely correct

but those people also had strong families, complete families, a sense of pride in their work & country, determined work ethic, a desire to succeed, a parent that took an active role in raising them, discipline, dreams, respect for others.......etc

sadly, what was once the norm, is fading as each year passes

Latest posts

Top Bottom