"Staying Warm" Your feet this time

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beer

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
The staying warm during bow hunting thread got me thinking. A little more specific this time. How are you guys/gals keeping the toes warm? I wear some Readhead "Bowhunter" wool socks from BassPro inside some Rocky boots with 800g of thinsulate.

Just picked the socks up. Got one hunt in em. Seem to work better than the ones I had before but I think I need to wear them with liners. Not sure.

Anyone got a little trick? How about any of the electric socks? Any one boot that just works best for you?

torque

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I will use Any kind of insulated boot that is 2 sizes too large with good wool socks. Need plenty of room in the boot, anything tight and my toes get cold.
The very best thing that I have found is to carry a sleeping bag. Regular boots and clothes to walk in with, no sweating, then step into the sleeping bag and leave it unzipped at the top and pull it up around my shoulders. Snug as a bug in a rug.

hubmonkey

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pretty much the same thing for your feet as anywhere else... a good base layer, I use a thin wader sock, followed by a good pair, don't be cheap, of wool socks in a well insulated boot. Boot size is important because you don't want it too tight, have to keep the blood flowing to the toes.

Hub

lameduck

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I will use Any kind of insulated boot that is 2 sizes too large with good wool socks. Need plenty of room in the boot, anything tight and my toes get cold.
The very best thing that I have found is to carry a sleeping bag. Regular boots and clothes to walk in with, no sweating, then step into the sleeping bag and leave it unzipped at the top and pull it up around my shoulders. Snug as a bug in a rug.

Agree, I do not use a sleeping bag, but 2 sizes too big. Make sure you try on your boots with heavy socks, and then make sure you still have 2 sizes too big. If you have tight boots on it does not let the warm blood circulate.

WNM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Better have a harness on. I would be asleep in no time.

hk33

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
For any type of hunting where I am just sitting I wear Muck Boots the ones that go up to just below the knee. See link.

http://muckbootcompany.com/products/ASP-000A

They pull heat off your entire lower leg. These boots are so warm I can't wear them in the truck driving out the where I hunt. My feet just get way too hot.

For bird hunting I prefer a regular boot though. I couldn't walk around all day in the Muck Boots.

white92coupe

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My feet tend to sweat a lot personally, so I wear a base layer sock to wick moister away and then I wear old baseball socks with holes in the heal and thin spots throughout the feet. I wear a Rocky boot with 800g of insulation. I've tried base layer with wool socks even in no insulated boots and my feet just sweat way to much and get cold.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My waders were about two sizes too big for my feet - which used to suck, until I got some insulated (foil looking) boot inserts from the Army Surplus store. Under those I use some Seal Socks from Academy and under those I use a cotton sock over a nylon sock.

Sounds silly, but when you're waist-deep in half-frozen water in November, wam feet are pretty darn important.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I try to keep my feet in front of the propane heater:thumbup3:

In reality, I pretty much always deer hunt wearing insulated rubber boots. I had a real problem in the early days using too many socks and like has been said by others in this thread, It cut off the circulation to the feet, and they got cold. Currently I have some 800 gram Redhead ankle fit boots that zip up the side. Wearing a single pair of cotton socks, my feet never get cold anymore.

bulbboy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use liners and wool socks with insulated boots - still get cold. But, they are my normal size. I've never heard of getting a bigger size before - makes sense... Thanks

Latest posts

Top Bottom