Store prepped brass primed?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm curious what other people think. Let's say you finish prepping a bunch of brass. Give it the full treatment --- trim/Cham/Deb/wet tumble. Whatever your process is to make it ready to go. BUT...let's say you're not going to load it right then.

Do you prime it and store it, or do you wait to prime until you're ready to take it all the way to a finished product?

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I suppose one of the reasons that I think about this is due to having gotten a few thousand pieces of new primed LC brass a few years back, so by default I tend to do assembly with the primers already in have removed the decap pin from the die. My default process is to deprime/size, trim, chamfer/deburr, swage, clean and then store. So in my case it may simplify the order of operations to keep it the same as what I already have.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Prime when ready to load but will store all fully processed brass for 2 reasons if something happens to me and wife has to sell it is easier to sell individual components and second what if i have all this brass primed and then either need the primers for another caliber or sell the gun that all that primed brass goes to i have to break them doown to use someplace else.

mouthpiece

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm curious what other people think. Let's say you finish prepping a bunch of brass. Give it the full treatment --- trim/Cham/Deb/wet tumble. Whatever your process is to make it ready to go. BUT...let's say you're not going to load it right then.

Do you prime it and store it, or do you wait to prime until you're ready to take it all the way to a finished product?
You been goin through my stuff?

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You been goin through my stuff?
HA! You know I thought I'd blame you for my problems with this batch, but I cheated on your and got a couple of boxes from a member in KS when I was driving through a few years ago. Reason I thought to blame you was A) to give you a hard time and B) because I didn't quite want to go through 2500 pieces of brass today.

However, things being what they were I noticed a few thousand rounds into processing that some of the flash holes in the brass were cut off center. Now, technically they did make it through my sizing die, but I figure that might lead to inconsistency down the road, and if I ran them through again, maybe it wouldn't be as nice to my dies. So I had to go through every dang piece checking the flash holes again. Wound up culling about 60 pieces out of the 2500ish. Of those, 90% were Aguilla.

Latest posts

Top Bottom