Store prepped brass primed?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wish stores stored their primers as good as some of you guys store yours!
No kidding. There are no desiccant pacs in factory primers that may have been in the supply line for over a year before being sold to sit on a shelf somewhere.
I have 10+ year old primers stored in their factory packaging that go bang every time.
That being said, I prep thousands of rounds of pistol and rifle brass at a time over several days to bag and load when ready. Don’t prime first as the progressive does that for me.

Letfreedomring

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My problem is I forget which brand of primer I put in the case which makes working up a load kinda hard. Guess my record keeping skills are severely lacking unless I load everything all at once and write it down after I'm done. I've got 100pcs of .270 that only about half are loaded and the other half just primed. I'll get back to it as soon as I find my round toit! 🤦‍♂️

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My problem is I forget which brand of primer I put in the case which makes working up a load kinda hard. Guess my record keeping skills are severely lacking unless I load everything all at once and write it down after I'm done. I've got 100pcs of .270 that only about half are loaded and the other half just primed. I'll get back to it as soon as I find my round toit! 🤦‍♂️
This!! When I do store primed cases for later I always make notes so I don’t forget what primer it was

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One thing I did a long time ago was make a label template that has all the brass prep information that prints out on a 2"x4" sticky label that i can slap on whatever bag/box/bin I find to store projects in. It also serves as a checklist --- basically if I don't fill out section X then it's not done. That said, one reason I've been on brass prep mode recently is because when it got cold last year I left a bunch of stuff half done and unlabeled so I basically started all the way over on stuff to be sure where I left off. That irritated me into decided to process literally alllllll the brass to where it's ready to load. Still not sure if I'll prime them or not though. The one thing about the XL650 is that the priming system sucks compared to the 550 and 750 after all. It's almost easier to do those with a dedicated tool.

Edit: to be fair, I also created a label that has field for actually loaded stuff too. Similar format but has different fields to fill out like COAL, primer type etc, whereas the prep label is more T/C/D, trim length, etc

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do my loading in batches.
All brass is thrown in range bag, when retrieved.
Brass is deprimed and dumped in walnut and cleaned. Universal deprime dies are da bomb. 10 yo Grandson usually does this step.
Inspect and sorted to appropriate bins.

Grandson likes to resize. Pistol cartridges using Carbide dies.

I hand prime and place in bins.

When I need to load. Bins of primed brass get loaded.

At times, I have bins of clean, clean and sized, clean, sized and primed.

At this time, everything is primed and ready to load in sealed bins.

I am not worried, when we moved, I found some primers I purchased sometimes in the '80s, $1.12 / 100 LPP.
All went bang. I don't not understand what "sell a gun and no longer need that caliber" means.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think a lot of the variance in what we across the board find as acceptable means of storage depends on what and how we are shooting.

Pistol shooters worried about hitting steel recreationally, or even split times on cardboard 10-15 yards away are able to get away with a less strict storage practice than someone trying to print tiny groups on paper at distance with a rifle.

It doesn't take a huge amount of care to keep primers where they'll still pop. However, it doesn't take a huge amount of carelessness in primer storage to degrade consistency with regards to velocity etc...

Component age doesn't seem to matter quite as much to a point...some of my smallest groups last year were fired with primers and powder from 15 years ago. It was just stored properly (to my personal standards).

YMMV.

AKmoose

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I deprime, wet pin tumble, size & trim, deburr and prime. Store in ammo cans in climate controlled room. Like to have primed brass ready, especially pistol so I'm only working on the left side of the progressive press. Never had problems with ignition on any stored for a year or 2.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thinking about this more, I suppose that if stored primed, there's not exactly much difference if it's stored with the powder and bullet in place. I mean, would that make a difference to the "freshness" of the primer? One could make a case there's less oxygen getting to the primer itself, but then again, the primers are getting plenty of oxygen in their OEM trays to begin with.

I suppose end of the day this is just a personal preference thing.

Latest posts

Top Bottom