Strange behavior of a doe

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Having spent the last three days up in a tree, I watched a lot of deer, mostly does and fawns.

Saturday morning I saw a doe do something I have never seen before, and I have watched quite a few deer over the years.

This was a large doe. She was about 10 yards from my stand. She leaned forward, and put all her weight on her front feet. She put her hind feet up close to her front feet, and seemed to use them to balance herself while she tapped her hind feet rapidly on the ground, left-right, left-right. I thought she might have been taking a dump, but nothing appeared to be falling. This went on for maybe thirty seconds or so.

I have asked a couple of old deer hands, and they couldn't recall seeing this behavior.

Anybody know what she was up to?

And no, no arrows were loosed. Saw one nice 8 point who wouldn't get in a shootable spot for me because of my POS stand which is getting replaced next weekend. CB

shootermcgavin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have no clue.... I have very little knowledge about deer behavior though... My first thought was there are some animals that stomp the ground as a sign of dominance and what not.... of course it is usually males that do that... and they do it with front feet... and I've never heard of deer doing it... I vote for constipation.

frankos72

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Never been deer hunting, but my Dr told us to do a similar leg action (not tapping the ground) with our daughter when she was really young and constipated. So, +1 Constipation.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
She just wanted some attention! Just like all females do. You should have shot her.[/QUOTE]

Lease rules: (Only three)

Nothing under 8 points

No does

No "Fred Winston" (former lease member who is forever banned--not the real name, but you get the picture . . .)

I may get permission to shoot one doe later in the year because of a case of need, but normally we let the girls go. Got some really nice bucks working this year. CB

Latest posts

Top Bottom