Strange Christmas wrapping paper

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So Terry, the placard is often for caregivers as well as like what travisstorma said, for disabilities that are not always noticeable.
I know a guy who you'd never guess was disabled, but he's still carrying a load of shrapnel in his lower legs thanks to stepping on a land mine in a rice paddy in 1970. He said when he gets a new X-Ray tech at the VA he has to explain that no, the machine is not broken, it's just the shrapnel.

oksportsman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Speaking of those with disabilities, we stopped at Walmart the other day and right in front of one of the doors and in a handicapped spot was this really tricked out Jeep with a handicap placard hanging from the mirror. I'd like to know the handicap this guy had because one would have to really step up high to get into the Jeep.
Not all disabilities are immediately evident. Do people scam the system, of course they do. You actually have no idea if the person you are referring to is disabled or not Terry. My 86 year old father-in-law has dementia. We take him everywhere he needs to go. My wife has a placard in his name for her vehicle so we can park close as his dementia impacts his life in many ways whether seen or not including his balance. And we never use the placard when he is not in the vehicle.

Last edited:

XYZ

Ribertarian
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My doctor suggested that I get a Handicap permit.

I have bad arthritis. Normally I just deal with the pain. But it increases substantially in cold weather and it becomes problematic to get in and out of parking lots if I am very far away from the store. So I literally typically only use it occasionally.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I worked with someone who I questioned their handicap placard. Come to find out they had a traumatic brain injury in the service and had memory issues that allowed them to have the placard.

Just show patience. I have a handicap placard and a couple years ago I pulled in a handicap spot and a guy who was waiting in the same lot gave me an earful as I briskly walked out of my lifted truck. I ignored him as I went to get my kid from his therapy and when I very slowly came out holding the hand of my 6 year old son who is disabled. After I picked him up into his car seat and went to get in the drivers seat the same guy I guess tried to say something else, but I ignored him again.
So Terry, the placard is often for caregivers as well as like what travisstorma said, for disabilities that are not always noticeable.

Not all disabilities are immediately evident. Do people scam the system, of course they do. You actually have no idea if the person you are referring to is disabled or not Terry. My 86 year old father-in-law has dementia. We take him everywhere he needs to go. My wife has a placard in his name for her vehicle to we can park close as his dementia impacts his life in many ways whether seen or not including his balance.

Yes, I know that not all handicapped people have obvious handicaps with regards to walking and all, which is why I "wondered" what his was. I generally never question anyone about theirs because I had a brother-in-law that had one as well.

However, I also know that some people "borrow" a family member's placard just so they can park close to the store. If all of us were going somewhere in our vehicle, I would let him bring the placard for our vehicle, but if he wasn't along with us, I never asked to use the placard.

Latest posts

Top Bottom