String trimmer head

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think I need to replace mine. It’s got many hours on it and the metal bushing that the string comes out of are worn almost all the way through.

I usually run .095 string and tried some lighter string that just seems to melt (inside the head) while cutting heavy Johnson grass.

Any recommendations for a replacement? If there is something that works better than string, I’d like to hear about that too.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dont know what brand you have but i replace the metal string guide in my Stihl, the only time i replace the entire head is when i cant get the individual parts i need which is usually the string guides and the bump button on the bottom them are the only two things i have ever needed to replace so far and i have run many Stihl over the years both at work and personally.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dont know what brand you have but i replace the metal string guide in my Stihl, the only time i replace the entire head is when i cant get the individual parts i need which is usually the string guides and the bump button on the bottom them are the only two things i have ever needed to replace so far and i have run many Stihl over the years both at work and personally.
It’s a commercial Robyn. It’s probably 20 years old. I keep thinking about buying a stihl, but so far this thing has been bullet proof, except for the head. Is it normal for the lighter trimmer string to melt? The thicker string seems to do fine.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It’s a commercial Robyn. It’s probably 20 years old. I keep thinking about buying a stihl, but so far this thing has been bullet proof, except for the head. Is it normal for the lighter trimmer string to melt? The thicker string seems to do fine.
Yes usually the string is matched with the power and rpm's the motor puts out sounds like yours has to many rpm's for the smaller string which causes it to heat up and melt i would stick with the larger string or maybe just a size under just dont go to small or to big which could bog the motor down and over work it.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most of my string trimmers and blowers will get stolen off my trailer way before i ever think of wearing one out, but i did have to buy a new blower earlier this year cause of carb problems but it was close to 10 years old so was just about cheaper to replace it than just replace the carb and hope nothing else went wrong.

Latest posts

Top Bottom