Stupid Signs?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They used to have “do not drive into smoke” signs on 44 heading to Missouri. That is the only place where I have seen them and not sure if they are still there.
They had them alongside the Turner turnpike between OKC and Tulsa, too. It’s a leftover from when we had bad prairie fires, and if you drove into the smoke you could find yourself in the middle of one.

I don’t know if they’re gone from the turnpike or if I just don’t notice them anymore, but I definitely remember them from when I was a kid.

Last edited:

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is the one that had me shaking my head after first moving to Oklahoma. Been to several states and I’ve only seen it here. If I’m reading this correctly the cost for an ODOT worker tag is $10K.
View attachment 503904
What gets me is that they put these up for construction projects, then just abandon them in place. They seem to do that with a lot of construction signage; I guess they must figure that they’ll be back eventually, and it’s easier to store them alongside the highways than to take them back to the barn.

Big House

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
1724191838865.png

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What gets me is that they put these up for construction projects, then just abandon them in place. They seem to do that with a lot of construction signage; I guess they must figure that they’ll be back eventually, and it’s easier to store them alongside the highways than to take them back to the barn.

I had the same thought about them leaving the signs up, or, maybe even forgetting that they had them up. Then, while in Indiana for our road survey work back in 2020, I asked a construction guy about them being up but the roads already being done for some time. He explained that the construction crews leave the signs up until the state "signs off" on the new construction. No sense taking them up if they have to go back in and fix something to state standards.

Settled_Nomad

"Be Curious, Not Judgmental." -- Ted Lasso
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
View attachment 503897I always thought these signs were stupid with the hinges in the middle. These signs are (where) folded down in the summer months. Are we, as drivers, really so stupid that we need to know when NOT to watch for ice on bridge?

Trust me. It’s needed. Back when I-40 was a long bridge in the downtown OKC area. Seen lots of idiots flying by like I was sitting still. Got to see a couple of spin outs and guard rail crashes.

Ahall

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is N Main St coming out of Byng and intersecting (around the corner) with Hwy 377. There's a stop sign at this curve. There's no cross street, no crosswalk, no sidewalk, railroad crossing, no bike path...nothing to warrant a stop sign that I can figure. Yet there it is. You can see the other stop sign in the photo on the far left edge about in the center of the picture. That's the intersection with the highway. I've been scratching my head over this one since the first time I saw it. No...I don't stop at it.

View attachment 503339
I knew that one as soon as I saw the photo

It happened when 99 was realigned to bypass Byng.

I can’t say that

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Found these.

Attachments

• Image 8-21-24 at 6.32 PM.jpeg
    Image 8-21-24 at 6.32 PM.jpeg
    212.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Image 8-21-24 at 6.30 PM.jpeg