Subcompact/Pocket pistols, which one should I go with?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cavedweller

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I normally carry my Glock 19 AIWB or 5 o'clock, which ever I'm in the mood for and how I'm dressed, but sometimes it's a hassle to carry and I often leave the house without it.

So I've decided I need something smaller, got it narrowed down to these choices, so help me make the final decision.

In no particular order, also please note I've handled but never shot any of these.

1. Glock 26 - Like ammo cap for size and commonality of my current carry. But not sure if carries that much differently than the 19 (if that makes sense?)

2. Ruger LCR 9mm - b/c 9mm Revolver. nuff said. Had a 642 back in the day, hated it. Hurt my lady hands to shoot, would LCR be the same way?

3. Kahr CW9 - Priced nice, nice trigger for DAO. Good reviews.

4. Glock 43 - not sure why I included this, those that have them love them.

5. Kahr CM9 - So far my top pick. Priced nice, nice trigger for DAO, probably only true pocket pistol out of them all, is it comfortable to plink with?

before anyone suggest the Shield, I just don't care for it. Grip is too narrow, feels like it's slipping around in my hand.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
before anyone suggest the Shield, I just don't care for it. Grip is too narrow, feels like it's slipping around in my hand.

I have an LC9s and had the same problem.
The slim single stack grip allowed the pistol to recoil and shift slightly in my hand.

I put a Hogue grip sleeve on it and that made it a completely different hand gun.

Fits better, tames recoil, more pointable, and I shoot better with it now.
Highly recommended.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I've been impressed with the relative comfort of my CM9 on the range. It's not "fun" to plink with, but it's not painful either. I can shoot 25-50 rounds in one setting and not notice any discomfort. My PF-9 that I had previously would make the web of my hand sore after 3 mags.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The CM9 and CW9 are both good guns. Obviously you are trading rounds to save space as you transition from CW9 to CM9, however, having said that, even the slightly larger CW9 is a very slim, flat easily concealable handgun. The only thing I will add is that with each I found that respecting Kahr's 200 round break-in period was required. Kahr recommends it for a reason. I found each to be a reliable gun and, IMO, rather good looking guns as well.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I normally carry my Glock 19 AIWB or 5 o'clock, which ever I'm in the mood for and how I'm dressed, but sometimes it's a hassle to carry and I often leave the house without it.

So I've decided I need something smaller, got it narrowed down to these choices, so help me make the final decision.

In no particular order, also please note I've handled but never shot any of these.

1. Glock 26 - Like ammo cap for size and commonality of my current carry. But not sure if carries that much differently than the 19 (if that makes sense?)

2. Ruger LCR 9mm - b/c 9mm Revolver. nuff said. Had a 642 back in the day, hated it. Hurt my lady hands to shoot, would LCR be the same way?

3. Kahr CW9 - Priced nice, nice trigger for DAO. Good reviews.

4. Glock 43 - not sure why I included this, those that have them love them.

5. Kahr CM9 - So far my top pick. Priced nice, nice trigger for DAO, probably only true pocket pistol out of them all, is it comfortable to plink with?

If you ever want to shoot a PM9 let me know, I'll meet ya up at 2A. Got a crossbreed you can try on too to see how it carries.

Latest posts

Top Bottom