Subsonic 22 ammo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Danny, It sounds like you were using the Agula "colibri" bullets. They don't have any powder in them and only use the primer material as propellent. While they are sub-sonic. They are only rated for 6 ft # of energy and 375 Fps. for the regular and the super has 11ft# of energy and 500Fps

NOW.... If you look at CCI standard velocity witch is subsonic also it has 102 Ft # of energy and travels at 1070 Fps.

I have personally shot pigeons at point blank range with the super colibri's and they just bounced off but the standard velocity on the other hand was quite lethal at 30+ yards

The whole reason for writing this is to let others reading this better understand that there is a lot more to the energy of a bullet then just the speed

You may have something there as to what I experienced.

ewheeley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought some Remington subsonic from Walmart yesterday, and needless to say I was less than happy with it. I understand that a silencer goes a long way to eliminate noise in general, and I don't want to spend that much money on a silencer, but when I buy "subsonic" ammo I expect for there to not be an audible "CRACK!!!!" that resonates for a while.

Maybe I just had a bad batch, but in a P22 I had 2 failures to fire within the first 5 shots, and they were all supersonic.

Reaction score
I have personally shot pigeons at point blank range with the super colibri's and they just bounced off

No kiddin? Weird because I've shot pigeons, starlings, and grackles at ranges out to 12 yards with both .177 air rifle (7-10 grain pellets at around 800 fps all the way up to 1200 fps), and with Aguila Super Colibris (20 grains @ 500 fps), and both penetrate clean through and both kill them deader than a doornail. You must have run up against some SBA-clad pigeons! :eek: Either that or "point blank range" means to you something different from what I thought it meant to you. Or maybe you hit a main bone in the wing on the way in (??).

Now, the super colibris do peter out much faster with their poor BC and muzzle vel, so I don't recommend using them past 15 yards, unlike a heavy .177 pellet which can be good to 40 yards and still kill a grackle with ease.

Copper01

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
CCI CB shorts. Quiet enough to make you laugh the first few you shoot. I've heard the CCI CB longs are just as quiet but I haven't tried any yet.

My understanding is that the Aguila Super Colibri ammo is only for pistols. Posts I've read about shooting them in rifles suggest checking the bore after every shot to make sure it left the barrel. Got get me some to check out.

I just bought 3 boxes of the CCI CB shorts last Wednesday at the Chandler WM.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
CCI CB shorts. Quiet enough to make you laugh the first few you shoot. I've heard the CCI CB longs are just as quiet but I haven't tried any yet.

My understanding is that the Aguila Super Colibri ammo is only for pistols. Posts I've read about shooting them in rifles suggest checking the bore after every shot to make sure it left the barrel. Got get me some to check out.

I just bought 3 boxes of the CCI CB shorts last Wednesday at the Chandler WM.

I run it out of my son's cricket for soda can assasinations and it hasn't had one stick in the barrel.

Latest posts

Top Bottom