Subsonic 22 ammo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kozmos

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Super Colibri say pistol only but they work well in some rifles, they are noticeably louder though in a pistol than in a rifle. They only clear 50% of the time in my old Remington Model 12 pump but have almost no noise. They clear every time in my 10/22T and again almost no report, but I have to extract them manually. I don't have the perfect rifle for these...yet.

Jon3830

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

The Cleaner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have had issues in the past with various SS ammo, mostly fail to feed or wont even stay but in the mag, seems like the size was off just enough. What is a good SS ammo that is dimensionally the same as a standard long rifle?

rw1341

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've shot several hundred rounds of Remington Sub Sonic through a Walther with a ACC can. The only problems I had was due to the gun being dirty and dry (no oil) and that was after several boxes of ammo through it. It would fail to go all the way into battery. After a quick cleaning & oiling it was right back on track.

1911user

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is why I've never tried the stuff. Why is it so expensive?

-S

I think it about the same price as similar 22 ammo made by the same manufacturer. Nothing CCI sells would qualify as cheap 22 ammo. Aguilla is lower cost but also sells their subsonic 22 for about the same price as standard 22LR ammo.

The more commonly recommended subsonic 22 ammo is rarely the cheapest available, but it has a reputation for being more reliable, consistent, and staying subsonic.

Some stores may mark up the subsonic 22 because it is special and mysterious to the average rimfire shooter. Also, they may not sell as much and need to make more profit from each box sold to justify stocking it.

Hawkeye60

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
I went to Brigadoons and purchased some aguila SSS 60 grain ammo. It worked well in my 10 22 and my Mark I. All I can hear is the action with the suppresor on both of them. Interestingly enough, about 2 out of 3 bulk Federal supersonic ammo rated at 1280 fps will be subsonic out of the pistol with the suppressor on it.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No kiddin? Weird because I've shot pigeons, starlings, and grackles at ranges out to 12 yards with both .177 air rifle (7-10 grain pellets at around 800 fps all the way up to 1200 fps), and with Aguila Super Colibris (20 grains @ 500 fps), and both penetrate clean through and both kill them deader than a doornail. You must have run up against some SBA-clad pigeons! :eek: Either that or "point blank range" means to you something different from what I thought it meant to you. Or maybe you hit a main bone in the wing on the way in (??).

Now, the super colibris do peter out much faster with their poor BC and muzzle vel, so I don't recommend using them past 15 yards, unlike a heavy .177 pellet which can be good to 40 yards and still kill a grackle with ease.

The pigeons it bounces off of were so close I could smack them with my hand and I used super collibiri and CCI CB longs. The bounced off the sides and breast but if I went from behind then they seemed to get under the feathers and did the job

Furious_George

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i got some aguila SE subsonics from brigadoons 2 years ago for $2.15 per 50 round box. only heard good things about it. i'll try to give you a range report on it next time i go out.

Update:
Shot a box of Aguila SE through a Savage bolt action, AR-15 w/22 conversion, and a 10/22 today. Didn't have a single problem with any of them. Only shot it out to 50 yards and didn't notice much of a bullet drop if at all. The lack of noise made me laugh a little when I shot the first round. They're very quiet and seem to shoot very well. I'd recommend them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom