Suggestions for .12 gauge load best for Black Vulture control?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trbii

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Old hunting buddy told me about his brothers’ cattle ranch experiencing vultures bothering his calves. Said he loaned them a ‘36” barrel .12 ga’. First I’d ever heard of that long a barrel, but, whatever. He said it probably needed maintenance. I thought about giving them a Bore Snake for it. I think a 26” barrel, any model with a full choke tube should get the best results on one of those vultures. Wonder which shot size? #6, #4?

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Marlin Goose Gun had a 36 inch barrel. Full choked bolt gun for ‘reaching out there’. I think it was the model 55 if I remember right
FF21A65C-1F6A-4280-AD00-058D80DADAF9.png

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Federally protected, keep that in mind. As far as the loads, #4 and #6 in either 2 3/4 or 3" should do. The long barrel length increasing range and pattern was disproven years ago.
Vultures are protected? Interesting, I did not know that.
So if they are bothering your livestock, your screwed or breaking the law and killing them?

trbii

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Very helpful, thanks guys. Great pic of that old Marlin Goose Gun, dlbleak. Brings back a vague memory of plinking session in the woods in the late 1970s’, shooting buddy brought one of those, handed it to me to try out. Painful, sharp recoil. Wondered later if he had the wrong ammo for it. 3” magnums forced into a 2 3/4” chamber maybe? I had been shooting more than he had, but didn’t know near enough to check roll marks on a strange guns’ barrel and corresponding ammo on hand. Ignorance and carelessness has consequences.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Oklahoma Livestock Protection Depredation Sub-Permit Application​

Applicants who fill out and submit this application agree to follow all rules and regulations required by USFWS in the ODAFF statewide permit including: 1. Adoption of non-lethal measures to deter black vulture depredation 2. Use of shotguns and “non-toxic” shot in the lethal “taking” of depredating black vultures 3. Report “takes” to ODAFF. Any lethal take must be reported by December 31, annually 4. Use of black vulture carcasses as effigies in areas where depredation is occurring. NOTICE: Sub-permits will be issued to livestock operations only.

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Interesting. There’s been a time or two where I wanted to shoot them. Last spring when our sheep had newborn lambs there were a couple days where I spotted vultures landing in the pasture going after the young ones. I did grab the 12ga and head out there but those vultures spooked and took off before I got within range. They’re smart and have excellent vision.

As far as the load… I’d go high velocity #4s. The extra pellet weight will help with distance. They won’t let ya get close

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Interesting. There’s been a time or two where I wanted to shoot them. Last spring when our sheep had newborn lambs there were a couple days where I spotted vultures landing in the pasture going after the young ones. I did grab the 12ga and head out there but those vultures spooked and took off before I got within range. They’re smart and have excellent vision.

As far as the load… I’d go high velocity #4s. The extra pellet weight will help with distance. They won’t let ya get close
Just gotta go lay down and play dead. lol

Latest posts

Top Bottom