Suggestions for easy DIY hair clippers?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I searched for threads on clippers and found general recommendations for Wahl clippers for cutting your own hair.

I'm open to specific ideas on a particular model or brand.
Will just one clipper work, or is it easier with also having a smaller clipper too for trim work?

I'm leaning toward putting a guard (#1 or #2) on the clipper and just buzzing it all over -- any basic videos for dummies that want to learn?

What say you, OSA? Thanks in advance for any tips or advice.

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
I been clipping mine for 20 years. Wahl is what I use. I have a smaller Remington beard and mustache. It's cordless if I had to buy a new one for hair. I would get cordless. Buy one with all the guards in a kit. Personally I don't even bother with guards anymore. I cut it as short as I can once a week or so. I never shave anymore just use beard trimmer no guard also.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
While I eyeballed a nice pair of Osters, I'm too cheap to shell out cash even if it'll lasts lifetime. I bought these last year to replace my decade old Wahls. They make a solid product, they won't last forever, but at that price, I'm fine with replacing once in a while. I like this kit in particular because the guards start at 1/16th, plus the cutter head adjusts to half sizes between guards.

I'm a plug in guy. I've had a handful of cheap battery trimmers, never seemed to last for me. Trim my beard with the same clipper.

No idea how to style your hair solo, but it's easy enough to give yourself a buzz cut. I just go out in the garage, burr it, toss my hairy clothes in the wash on my way in. Be thorough in all four directions. Front to back, back to front, left to right, and vice versa. Don't be surprised when you find a little soul patch in the shower.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Get a big hand mirror for the back of ye old noggin!! :cool: A tablet or phone will work but a hand held mirror is just easier to manipulate while looking for that missed clump of hair!

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use a professional grade Andis with their cordless conversion along with the ultra ceramic blades.

Overkill for my needs but I had a Wahl die mid-haircut and Andis is what my barber used and recommended.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a Wahl clipper several months ago and the wife thought it was crazy but now, she has rethought that it isn't so crazy after all. Cheap at $16.00 on EBay but does the job and has paid for itself.

User67828

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been using the wahl color pro kit that I got on Amazon for like $30 a couple years ago. There's no telling how much they've gone up now though. Biggest lessen I learned when I started cutting my own hair was to avoid the battery powered clippers unless you want to spend an hour plus cutting your hair.

Latest posts

Top Bottom