Suggestions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

urbanscout

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, Id like some input.... I bought a mosin nagant 91/30 from a friend and bought his extra surplus corosive ammo (280 rounds left now). It didn't come with the sling or extra stuff... It was just a clean, nice looking gun. Id heard good stuff about the riffle and for his price it was cheap fun. Well, now that Ive shot it, the recoil isnt my cup of tea and Ill most likely sell it with the ammo.

However, holding that gun, feeling the weight, and knowing the history... it made me a little happy. It gave me a rush that my glock doesnt bring.... Sounds wierd? Now I don't want a rifle and ammo that won't use just sitting around. But I want another rifle that will give me that same "affordable, history soaked rush"; without putting me in a shoulder sling.

What is that rifle?

Thanks

excat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
With a little investment into the Mosin, you can make the recoil more manageable. You can change the stock, they have a few out for them now, and then on the new stock, put on a gel recoil pad. There is quite a bit of recoil, but what is making it hurt so bad is the steel butt plate.

As for other rifles, what exactly are you wanting? Just something to target shoot with and have some fun, or something for plinking, and possibly hunting? What are YOU considering affordable? $100, $200, $300, $500?

excat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You didn't specify if you were wanting a semi or a bolt gun.

I would look into a SKS, 7.62x39. Can be found for $300-$450, ammo is still fairly cheap, but not as cheap as it was. I personally prefer Norinco, and not a big fan of the Yugo, it's all personal preference though.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
96 swede,you will have to reload unless you want to pay $20 plus per box of boolits. the mosin is tough to beat for fun mainly because of the cheap ammo.

fubarjohnnyr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Spend $10 on a recoil pad, it makes a huge difference on your shoulder.

http://www.amazon.com/Sports-Nagant-1-Inch-Extended-Buttpad/dp/B003VPEBH4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1372964442&sr=8-2&keywords=mosin+nagant+recoil+pad

You can even drill those cross holes completely out and make it even more shock absorbing.

ecx.images_amazon.com_images_I_31ZUj3rwfCL.jpg

..btw, the added 1" on the buttstock makes it more comfortable to shoot as well.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For that warm, fuzzy feeling, try a 1935-1943 era K98K. If you get one with a (heavier) laminated stock, and you're not shooting surplus MG ammo, recoil's manageable.

(WARNING! - owning a K98 may cause unusual craving for bratwurst, and a desire to invent something!)

Latest posts

Top Bottom