Suggestions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

been

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The recoil is what makes the mosin fun to shoot. It is much more noticeable however when shooting from a bench. I think the best thing for you would be to get that recoil pad fubarjohnnyr posted.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
i kinda like bruises-especially if i got them from shooting! the mosin pad looks good though. i've had one on my ebay watch list for a long time. just havn't bought one yet

WessonOil

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I tend to shoot a few hundred rounds of 8mm and 7.64 x 54 at each sitting.
Nothing manly about having permanent shoulder damage when I'm older, and unable to shoot a rifle, pistol, or be able to handload ammo to shoot with.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you are after the historical "rush"...ditch the Russian stuff, save up some $$, meet the requirements for purchase from the CMP and get yourself a genuine USGI surplus M1 Garand.

It doesn't get any better, or more American, than that.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, get an M1. Due to the gas system and the weight, it recoils quite a bit softer than a MN. Project Appleseed can help you get CMP certified... more info on that in the links in my sig.

Going to an Appleseed will also teach you some techniques that will help manage that recoil (as well as being a better shooter). One thing to try is turkey necking when you get your cheek weld. Stretch your neck as far forward as it will go, and drop your head onto the stock. If you do this, not only will your head always be in the same place on the stock, but there will be no slack in your neck, which makes your whole upper body absorb recoil.

BrandonMF

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"wing" your arm out a little bit more, put that stock firmly in your shoulder pocket, hold it super tight, and don't fear the recoil.

Shoot it some and you'll get used to it fast. Most of the time people talk about too much recoil, it's honestly the fact that they are not holding the gun properly at all. Mosin used to kick my ass too until I got used to it.

but the whole M1 Garand idea is a great one too. ;) Get used to the Mosin and get an M-1, too!

you can also try an enfield or Mauser. Honestly though if you're not holding it right, any of the full sized rifle cartridges are going to kick your ass. x54r has lots of recoil but not a whole lot more than 8mm Mauser.

Latest posts

Top Bottom