Super quiet round for nuisance animals.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I shoot both Colibri 20gr 420fps and 520fps through a suppressed bolt action 77/22. The only sound you hear is a hammer click, and the hollow thump of it hitting the body. They feed fine off of the rotary mag, but I don't think you will be taking a cat out with a single shot unless it is extremely well aimed. I've witnessed a squirrel take 3 rounds to the body and still moving very well. To the head or chest it is pretty effective.

If you want DRT, head shots recommended.
If you want them to run off and expire, body shots.

leemozoid

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I need a super, super quiet but VERY effective .22 rimfire round to eliminate a growing stray cat problem. I was wondering if I could run CCI CB 22 short rounds through a .22 LR pistol. I have semi auto's and double action revolvers. I'd most likely be using a revolver. I've also considered rat shot but I believe the CB shorts would be the most quiet. Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?
If you have a suppressed application CCI Quiet runs 710 fps and is quieter than a mouse fart. It will not cycle semiautomatic actions but it will give you the silence you are looking for.

neokshooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
revolvers are a *bit* noisy due to the open cylinder, but just about any commercial .22lr round is going to be subsonic thru a 4'' or shorter barrel.
you'd probably have issues with loading/feeding shorts or cbs.
i know lots of .22 lever actions handle those rounds just fine, and are pretty dang quiet.
I'm trying to keep it on the down low. Pointing a rifle while sitting on the front porch just seems to draw attention. I've got a couple of auto pistols even if I had to feed 'em single shot. I've got a Chiappa copy of a Beretta 92 and a Colt Huntsman that might work. Closest rifle I could be inconspicuous with would be an Armalite AR-7.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was at work one day and the wife calls the shop and tells me she heard gun shots.
I told her call 911 and she said she did call 911 and they told her it is a neighborly dispute and nothing they can do about it.

We lived in Spencer at the time.
I told her that is great news!!!
She said : WHAT?

I told her we can shoot guns in the neighborhood and it is not going to get us in trouble.
I killed a lot of cats with my pump 177 cal bb gun and with my Ben Pearson Target Master Recurve but now I will use a .22 rifle.

Nice deal.

If you reload ammo I have a dandy .308 quiet load.
Man, when I lived in Spencer the disputes weren’t very neighborly, that’s for sure. I figured that out after finding bullets in the cinder blocks on the outside of the house. I came to find out that the park across the street was a popular spot to get into altercations with the local “clubs”.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Does not matter if you shoot at the critter while on the porch with a rifle or hand gun as that critter is going to attract more attention to you and it when it gets shot with anything.
You could try and electrify it or build an electromagnet gun

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does not matter if you shoot at the critter while on the porch with a rifle or hand gun as that critter is going to attract more attention to you and it when it gets shot with anything.
You could try and electrify it or build an electromagnet gun
This is a good point. Back in the day As a dog catcher for OKC we received a few calls from neighbors complaining about a guy shooting neighborhood cats with regular 22 ammo. I showed up to do the talking, and my supervisor had OCPD bring out two squad cars to help get the point across.

if you’re going to do it, I would suggest keeping it limited to the back yard and quiet ammo or air rifles. No sense getting in trouble.

Duckhunter39480

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
@neokshooter I've got 80 rounds of Aguila .22 Colibri (primer only I believe) that are sitting here collecting dust if you want them.

Shoot me a PM if interested and I'm sure we can work something out.........FTF in Norman.

View attachment 251703
Use caution when shooting Aguila .22 Colibri. I have found more than one stuck in the barrel of my rifle. They are quiet but there is this hazard

Latest posts

Top Bottom