Super quiet round for nuisance animals.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neokshooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
CCI Quiet and a suppressor on a bolt rifle. No louder than my PCP air rifle.

I thought the short CB would be really quiet but it's surprisingly noisy without a suppressor, the Quiet rounds seemed more quiet to me.
I popped off a couple of them last night /early morning out of a Rossi 511 4" revolver. Louder than you might think and louder than I expected for a 22 short.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you want DRT, head shots recommended.
If you want them to run off and expire, body shots.

A friend tried to deal with a neighbor’s dog that was going after his chickens after warning the neighbor that the dog had repeatedly come on to his property. His mistake was shooting to wound and not to kill. The sheriffs deputy that came out to visit him after the dog made it back home, made it clear that killing the dog while it was destroying his chickens wasn’t a problem, but intentionally wounding was a problem.

Greg2sdad1

New to the site!
Reaction score
I need a super, super quiet but VERY effective .22 rimfire round to eliminate a growing stray cat problem. I was wondering if I could run CCI CB 22 short rounds through a .22 LR pistol. I have semi auto's and double action revolvers. I'd most likely be using a revolver. I've also considered rat shot but I believe the CB shorts would be the most quiet. Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?
Put a pillow over cats head! First! Lol

Greg2sdad1

New to the site!
Reaction score
22 caliber pellet rifle. Find the slowest advertised FPS then buy the heaviest pellets you can find. Screw a 2 liter bottle on the end with a 1/2” hole drilled where the first round marks and paint it black wrappped in a T-shirt if you have your ninja credz
Other than a bow as mentioned above or stepping into NFA your still going to make a bit of noise.
Health tip-grab a bat and give chase!
Cardio!!!
Best of luck
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha i love it

Greg2sdad1

New to the site!
Reaction score
.22 Colibri. It’s quieter than an air rifle, but they’re strictly handgun only; there’s a definite risk that they won’t clear a rifle barrel.

For rifles, I’d go with .22 CB. They’re not as quiet as the Colibris, but they carry a lot more energy.

FWIW, a .22 Colibri will terminate a tarantula without damaging the brick on which it’s sitting, but I doubt it would be more than a nuisance to anything bigger than a mouse.
And they will not cycle through any semi-auto i threw a hand full away the other day, lol

Okiedog

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
.22 cal. Air Force Talon takes care of all small animal needs. Extemely quiet, no louder than a bb gun.
Airforce Talon Vortex Scope DS08389.JPG

leemozoid

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is a good point. Back in the day As a dog catcher for OKC we received a few calls from neighbors complaining about a guy shooting neighborhood cats with regular 22 ammo. I showed up to do the talking, and my supervisor had OCPD bring out two squad cars to help get the point across.

if you’re going to do it, I would suggest keeping it limited to the back yard and quiet ammo or air rifles. No sense getting in trouble.
This is how I did it. We lived just south of Memorial off Bryant. Quiet neighborhood, fenced back yard and lots of mature trees. Suppressed .22 LR subs decimated the rodentia without so much as a hint of disquiet from the neighbors.

Fourday

New to the site!
Reaction score
I need a super, super quiet but VERY effective .22 rimfire round to eliminate a growing stray cat problem. I was wondering if I could run CCI CB 22 short rounds through a .22 LR pistol. I have semi auto's and double action revolvers. I'd most likely be using a revolver. I've also considered rat shot but I believe the CB shorts would be the most quiet. Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?
CB Long's (not long rifle) are actually more quiet. I would also run them through a rifle instead of a revolver. Another round to consider is the SSS, I think it was or is made my Aguila? They are 22lr in length, however use a 22 short case and a 60gr bullet making up the oal. They also happen to be subsonic and will penetrate a 2x4. I had a similar issue, however I just trapped them and relocated the cats to the other side of the city.

Latest posts

Top Bottom