Suppressed .22 project

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HerkyBird

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looking for advice. I'm fairly certain I am going to use a Marlin BA for the project. What issues have any of you run into? (other than months waiting on the stamp). I'm new to world of suppressed firearms, so any advice on weapon choice, suppressors, ammo, etc would be greatly appreciated. Pictures are always nice, too.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with your choice of platform if you already have one. Any bolt action is going to be a quiet platform for a can. If you haven't selected the rifle yet, you might want to check out the Savage Mark II FV-SR (Sku 28702). It comes with a great trigger, a one piece scope base and a fluted pre-threaded barrel that's ready to screw a can onto.

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/models/

As for cans, buy once, cry once. You're wed to it via the $200 tax stamp and used suppressors have a significantly lower value than new ones. There are three cans that seem to stand out above the rest. The Silencerco Sparrow, SWR Spectre and AAC Element. I'll admit I'm biased towards the Stainless Steel Sparrow (they make a lighter aluminum version as well). It has more first round pop (FRP) than the SWR or AAC, but it's ease of disassembly for maintenance is superior. I mitigate the FRP in the Sparrow by hitting it with a couple of sprays from a nasal inhaler filled with water and it's very quiet. Silencerco and SWR (which is now owned by Silencerco) are generally considered to have better customer service than AAC. I have three AAC cans and they're excellent, but I went with the Sparrow for my most recent one and couldn't be happier.

There are a couple of forums you should visit before buying one. That will give you a lot of information you can use to make an informed purchase. Good luck!

http://www.silencerforum.com/forum/forum.php

http://nfatalk.org/forum/index.php

Norman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, in about 6 months my aluminum Silencerco Sparrow.will be living on my savage FV-SR. I'll give a report then if you want.

AirMech74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm gonna subscribe to this thread...I'm also shopping for a .22 suppressor and after talking to Dustingaunder, I am really leaning towards the Spectre II. Mine will mainly be on my Ruger MKII.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sparrow FRP is quieter than most other .22 cans. It is caused by it being so dang short. Liberty has a similar (ripped off?) design who's claim to fame is less FRP. It is also 6.5" long.

The Spectre 2 is a longer can than the sparrow and meters quieter than the element and sparrow on a p22. It is awesome. I still prefer the sparrow because of its size and ease of cleaning.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Pic of the Savage FV-SR with Silencerco SS Sparrow, Burris Timberline 4.5-14 scope in Millett rings and Eagle Stock Pack (haven't done the Boyd's Tacticool stock upgrade yet).

i151.photobucket.com_albums_s157_Glocktogo_SavageFV_SR.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom