Suppressors for Hunting in OK

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocketman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What ever became of this thing on suppressors for hunting in OK? If its not legal to hunt deer with a suppressor then can i hunt pig? Squrriels? If i take a suppressed gun and walk around the land shooting at tree stumps am i going to be busted for "hunting" with a suppressor? The day it becomes legal to hunt with a suppressor is the day owning a suppressor is worth it to me because i'm going deaf from hunting.
i93.photobucket.com_albums_l69_armorgod_HuntingWsilencer.jpg

rocketman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I found this from the okpredatorhunters.com forum which seems to say no supp for coyotes and ok for pigs. Pigs are the ones im going deaf over anyways.

"Thank you for your question about the legality of hunting non-game animals in Oklahoma with a noise suppressed firearm. The Director has forwarded your question to me for a response.
Title 29 of the State Wildlife Code, section 5-201, Means of taking wildlife-Exceptions-Fines and punishments, states in paragraph A. Except as otherwise provided for in this section, no person may utilize at any time, for the purpose of killing or capturing any game mammal, game bird or nongame bird, the following means:
1. Any trap, net, snare, cage, pitfall, baited hook or similar device;
2. Any drug, poison, narcotic, explosive or similar substance;
3. Any swivel or punt gun of greater caliber than ten(10) guage;
4. Any device which generates electricity; or
5. Any device which noticeably suppresses noise from a firearm, commonly known as a silencer

The definition of a “game mammal”, according to Title 29, is “any mammalian species normally sought after by sportsmen and protected by this Code, or any part of such animal”.

The definition of a predatory mammal is “any mammal which preys upon another mammal or bird for food, and includes only coyote and wolf”. Therefore, with a coyote being a predatory mammal and not a game mammal, they would be legal for an individual to hunt using a suppressed or silenced firearm.

Our Agency does not consider the feral hog to be a wildlife species, thereby making it also legal to hunt using a suppressed or silenced firearm. Please familiarize yourself with the regulations regarding the hunting of feral swine and coyote during antelope, bear, deer and elk firearm seasons.

This explanation, of course assumes you possess the necessary permits to own a suppressor.

Thank you again, Jason for contacting us with your question regarding hunting in Oklahoma with a suppressed firearm.

Sincerely,

Robert Fleenor
Acting Chief, Law Enforcement Division
Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation "

angsniper

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I would love to have that in writing on official letterhead! I'm not sure the warden will see it the same way if he catches someone out hunting pigs or coyotes with a can on their weapon.

vdub

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To your original post, the suppressor bill was gutted and replaced with another attempt of getting open carry passed in Oklahoma. That bill ultimately died in committee or elsewhere in the Senate.

I did ask Senator Russell and he has already filed a new suppressor hunting bill for the upcoming Senate session. I did not get details if he was trying to still come from the angle of only the landowner and guests instead of just striking item 5 in that email reply from the regulations. The difference would be removing item 5 should free up all public and WMA lands to hunting with suppressors.

I also would like to get a copy of that email in writing. I wonder how binding that is if a Game Warden stops you for hunting and if that response only applies to private land or does it apply to WMA and public lands as well.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The day it becomes legal to hunt with a suppressor is the day owning a suppressor is worth it to me because i'm going deaf from hunting.

A bit off topic but:

Electronic muffs work great. You can buy them in various forms from buttons to full fledged ear muffs. Find what you like and use it. No need to go deaf when the technology is available to protect your ears without limiting your ability to hear what is going on in your area. Hell - with the muffs I have I can hear stuff outside I never imagined was going on.

I'm not a hunter myself but I've read that some hunters prefer the amplified tech because they can hear the game coming from much further away than they otherwise could. Kind'a puts human hearing on par with the hearing those deer have.

rocketman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

jdgabbard

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Latest posts

Top Bottom