suppressors

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Won't that add extra weight, length, and less noise suppression than a dedicated 5.56 can like the m4-2000?

Not much and you can save a lot of money buying 1 instead of two. Less than 3 ounces added in weight, about an inch added in length, and about 3-4dB louder on a 5.56 host over the M4-2k. All 3 things you'll likely never notice. That includes an all inconel baffle stack and end cap and commonly available flash hider and muzzle brake mounts for 5.56 and 308 cal firearms. If you want to save some money, the 762-SDN-6 is where to do it.

762-SDN-6
Weight: 19.85oz
Length: 7.66"
Length added: 6.10"
Diameter: 1.5"

M4-2k
Weight: 17.1 oz
Length: 6.625"
Length added: 5.10"
Diameter: 1.50"

88gmchog

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok I should add my 308 is also my primary hunting rifle, so I want a can t wont screw up my zero.
On the 5.56mm can I intend on using it primarily on my sbr so zero shift is not a big deal. However it may find its way onto a bolt gun eventually.
I have considered a 7.62mm can to run on both but Im not sure....

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How often do you have to clean the can internals? Does a solvent need to be used, or is there a milder cleaner that works? Thanks.

I have NEVER cleaned any of my 4 cans (other than the mounting/threaded section) and one of mine is now 20 years old. I remember Dr. Dater of Gemtech saying that you should clean your can as often as you clean the muffler on your car. YMMV

This is from Gemtech's FAQ's:

Do I need to clean my suppressor?

In general, suppressors require very little maintenance. We do not recommend cleaning the baffle stack of any of our centerfire suppressors. Although they may look dirty, the small amount of carbon buildup inside is both normal, and beneficial. It will actually make the suppressor slightly quieter.

What does have merit is cleaning the mounting surfaces of the suppressor. We recommend cleaning the mount of suppressors with a quick disconnect feature or LID every 250-300 rounds. Disassemble the mount or LID, clean any carbon build-up from the components and lubricate with any high temp grease. This will keep the mount or LID functioning properly.

The exterior surface of your suppressor should be maintained the same as any other firearm. Wipe with a light coat of gun oil to clean, restore, and protect the external finish of our suppressors. Blowing out the suppressor with compressed air will keep internal surfaces dry and also remove some unburned powder, carbon buildup, etc.

carready

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
OAS Sponsor
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use a AAC 7.62 SD on my 11.5" piston AR and have never had to use ears with it. Nice and quiet, and the 7.62 SD is rated for anything under 300 Win Mag and sound good with 5.56 on full auto.

carready

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
OAS Sponsor
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well better to be ready for one than to have to go buy another can when you get one someday, or when you shoot a friends.