SW pistol league retired the "leatherslap" as an annual contest,

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pistolguy

Marksman
Reaction score
because Bill finally managed to put together 5 hits, av eraging .57 second, for 5 reaction, draws, hits, on 12" disk at 7 yds, using a 6" .38 DA, after trying every year for 8 years. He was using a 1 handed point shooting stance, a "hand hovering over gun" start position and an 'open front" rig. Everyone used those rigs in that simplistic draw and shoot match. They all used the "hover" handstart, too. The open fronts are nothing more than a shelf that the pistol sits upon. Take one step and the gun falls out of the rig. :-) that kind of stuff, along with .38 loads so feeble that they had all the "power" of a .22lr is why Jeff insisted upon the surrender start, security tests for holsters, and the power factors for ammo, when we set up IPSC. What we should also have insisted upon is that the matches be realistic, as well as the gear. more on that later.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well just to set the record straight, I wasn't there, but in the late 80s and early 90s I worked for Col.Cooper and i tried to gleen as much history as I could. Now this is from memory, so if I get something out of order or not quite right, please realise I'm trying my best.

The first "leather slaps" were done by Col. Cooper at Big Bear lake California. Full power ammo was ALWAYS required! The holsters always had to retain the gun for daily wear. There were no open front shelf holsters allowed, and certainly no wax bullets. The guys who shot these matches wanted to do them at their own ranges and formed a loose alliance that became known as the Southwest Combat Pistol League. All the matches were called "leather slaps"....much the same way we say today say "I'm going to shoot the IPSC match this weekend". They were all scenario based not just fast draw competitions and there was never an annual fast draw only match. So.....as we can see someone is full of.....well you know!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom