Taxes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just spent the better part of the day in OKC going to the FFL conference, I will have to double check this but it looks like FFL's will have to collect taxes on the sales price of incoming transfers and remit to the city,state ect...That will put a stop to those buying on-line to avoid taxes.

Also found that the new 4473 forms will come out this summer changing quite a few things.

Anyone else attend the workshop??

I saw Mark from Mark's firearms there but he sat on the opposite side of the room so I didn't get a chance to say Hi.
Hi Mark!

Last edited:

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
also heard that they are going to do away with having the chief law enforcement officer sign form 4's but so far that may just be a rumor

redmax51

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Just spent the better part of the day in OKC going to the FFL conference, I will have to double check this but it looks like FFL's will have to collect taxes on the sales price of incoming transfers and remit to the city,state ect...That will put a stop to those buying on-line to avoid taxes.

Also found that the new 4473 forms will come out this summer changing quite a few things.

How are the dealers going to know what the purchase price is? Mr. dealer, I paid $20 for that Wilson 1911 you're transferring.What if it's from a private non dealer?

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Are you saying that Oklahoma is doing away with the Use Tax and implementing an actual on-line sales tax system?

thefenux

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The way I always understood this, the person buying online (guns or otherwise) is supposed to be paying "use tax" to the Oklahoma Tax Commission themselves. Use Tax is almost the same as sales tax, but you're supposed to pay it on anything you buy from out of state or have bought for inventory without paying sales tax and are now using instead of selling.

That makes it sound like it's just for businesses, but the OTC says regular folks are supposed to be paying it for stuff they buy online. To my knowledge, the only people I know that have ever actually paid it (because they expect you to just send them money) are businesses.

I have my doubts about the responsibility of the dealer to collect the use tax on the buyer's behalf. Calling the OTC for clarification is your best bet, but I'd make sure they know you're not actually selling the guns.

MLR

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I'm waiting for the State to put armed guards at every highway entering the State and demanding you pay taxes on the clothes you bought when shopping across the border.

Michael

hanson405

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rather off topic, but I thought at first you said the FFA conference (which is in town as well) and I was thoroughly confused how the two were connected.

I don't get how the OTC can claim taxes on product that is sold out of state, made out of state, etc.

IMO, the sales tax should be paid to the state the product comes from. You buy a product from California (god forbid) you pay the sales tax there.

SoonerStatePawn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I ship alot of firearms to Washington, and the transferring dealer must have an invoice to keep on file for tax purposes. If an invoice is not included they are suppose to charge sales tax off the MSRP. It's really messed up, and I hope that we don't have to start collecting sales tax on transfers. The government needs to chill out on their friggin taxes...

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Agreed. I buy almost all of my firearms locally. On rare occasions I'll buy one used off a national board, or very rarely from a major seller IF it can't be found locally.

Latest posts

Top Bottom