Taxes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwv

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I don't begrudge them the dime, but the way they're going about it. If you have to pay internet sales tax, and shipping, and the local dealer doesn't get a percentage of the sale, and the local .gov doesn't get their cut, it seems the only one getting a good deal here is the state. Seems to me it would be better to have the true seller collect sales tax on their local rate. That would ensure their revenue, ensure the revenues of the local and state coffers, and eliminate the burden of proof from the buyer and the middleman. :anyone:

I always try and buy local when and where I can , the problem is when they OTC gets there foot in the door , with a tax or fee, well "there goes that sucking sound again". It's like if a person saves a few pennies on a purchase it's a crime. My online purchases are not that much, but if they are all added up it matters enough to send out the tax collectors.There going to get it when and where they can. Like we don't pay enough already.

Fatboy Joe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There's a line on your tax return to fill in the dollar amount of online purchases made on which you weren't charged taxes. Most people scoff and write $0. I was informed this year by my tax acct that the IRS tried to make major online stores collect taxes, which they refused to do. In turn, they are supplying the IRS with records of who bought how much. If there's enough of a discrepancy, you could wind up with a lovely audit. Sucks, but only because we bought online so long without paying taxes, but I don't hold a grudge for paying what's due. Truly hope this causes a trend for more patronization of brick & mortar, local stores.

I have no insite into how this would relate to a FFL dealer, just my experience withone of the topics broached.

TheMcs, it is actually not an IRS issue. There is no federal sales tax. Most states started going to the online retailers and pushing them to collect sales tax or furnish the consumer with the information. It is easier to collect the tax then furnish say 1,000,000 consumers with a 1098. So all of your major retailers now just collect sales tax. They also probably have nexus which requires that. I don't see how they will be able to regulate the incoming FFL to collect. It if anything, will be a requirement for the transferring FFL to notify the state of sales to the residents.

T

TheMcs

TheMcs, it is actually not an IRS issue. There is no federal sales tax. Most states started going to the online retailers and pushing them to collect sales tax or furnish the consumer with the information. It is easier to collect the tax then furnish say 1,000,000 consumers with a 1098. So all of your major retailers now just collect sales tax. They also probably have nexus which requires that. I don't see how they will be able to regulate the incoming FFL to collect. It if anything, will be a requirement for the transferring FFL to notify the state of sales to the residents.

Thanks for the clarification, figured I might have something amiss in there.

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Jack was one of the speakers but all of the Oklahoma and Texas examiners and supervisors were there and we had a presentation from the FBI on how they conduct the nics check, the FBI agent was a superivsor because the agent he tried to send out was double booked.

At least now I know why we have so many defers and delays. the calls are handled by 3 different call centers and the operators are not nics agents, they are just call center operators.

Nighthawk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thank you for noticing me Mr. Bee. I think I saw you on ther other side of the room. I saw alot of FFL's that I knew there. Yes, I heard the tax statement too, I called OTC when I got back to the showroom, and talked to one of the agents. She said that it is not in play yet, but they are getting ready for it. I have had customers tell me that there are a few FFL's that are already charging tax on transferrs, and require an invoice or sales slip showing the amount the firearm cost the customer.

I guess this summer when the new 4473's come out I will have alot of packing paper using the old ones. I knew 5 of the ATF agents that were there, and they greeted me using my name, how wonderfull for me. LOL

The one thing that they did not say, that I found out e-mailing someone that I was told that is in the know at ATF, is that if you want a variance on using a shorter version of your whole company name like MF for Mark's Firearms, when engraving, you have to get a variance on each weapon every time. Meaning if you want to engrave 10 weapons as MF instead of Mark's Firearms, you have to apply 10 times. He said the best way is just to apply for a change in your trade name on your license from Mark's Firearms to MF. I guess I will continue to engrave Mark's Firearms on all the machine guns and other weapon I manufacture.

What is really confusing, look at all the firearms at the gun shows that FFL's state that they build, that are not engraved, and the serial numbers are not changed as per ATF rules.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't believe the variance thing is completely correct Mark. AFAIK, you get a variance for a serial number range. If you have 10 random lowers, then yes, you'd need a variance for each one. If I want Sun Devil to make me a truck load of C3D lowers, then they apply for the variance for a serial number range one time.

Nighthawk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All I can say is that was a very burnning question for me. I must have gone through 3 agents, who sent me to the next higher up each time, and that was the final answer that I got. If you find out something different, and can as ATF always says, point me to the statement in our book please do so, because as you know this can sometimes be very confusing.

Latest posts

Top Bottom