TC G2 barrel, which caliber??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BUDMAN-BILL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Picked up a G2 contender at the gun show over the weekend. Looking for a barrel to put on it for a 16 year old girl. I have checked already on factory stock barrels and I guess they do not make a .243 for the G2. Anyone have some kinda good caliber for her to use for deer hunting??

jmiller45

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How about a .260 if they make it for that or even a .308? I know a lot of people that don't agree with hunting with a .22 caliber bullet like the .223 but if she can shoot good and put good placement on the deer than that would work with minimal recoil. I'm letting my 9 year old use the .223WSSM that I got him this year.

I'll probably get someone mad at me for suggesting the .223! LOL

JW/OK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You are limited by the G2 to lower powered calibers. For a young shooter I would recommend a 23" barrel in 6.8 Rem SPC. Buy your ammo from Silver States Armory and get the one with 115 grain Barnes bullets. I have shot 5/8ths groups with this round. With this combination you should be OK on Oklahoma deer out to 250 yards with good shot placement. I have taken two antelope and a couple of whitetail does with this rig. The Barnes bullet expands and penetrates great. I haven't recovered a bullet so far. This caliber has way less recoil than the 30/30 or 7x30 Waters.

JW/OK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
44 mag will do the trick if you want to limit shots to 100 yards and under for a young shooter. I shot a doe a couple of years ago with a scoped Ruger 44 Carbine at 120 yards and she was DRT. You should be all right on recoil with the 44 mag. My preference is a load with Hornady 240 GR XTP.

elwood

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm still pulling for the 30-30 vs a 44 mag in a rifle barrel. You can shoot 200 yards with new ammo, recoil is about the same, and you have more muzzle energy and velocity at any distance. Anyway, my 2 cents. I have attached some ballistics from the Hornady web site.

[Broken External Image]

Chas

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
7-30 Waters, better performance than a 30-30 with less recoil. Factory ammo is a little scare but can be had. Reloading componets are plentiful.

I think it would suit your needs perfectly for a young shooter and still be something she wouldn't grow out of.

Grumulkin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I presume you want a carbine barrel. The recoil of a 30/30 or 44 Mag. handgun is probably not what a 16 year old girl would like. I would suggest:

1. 222 or 223 Remington
2. 7-30 Waters
3. 30/30 Winchester

I, by the way, did take a deer with a Contender in 222 Remington with no problem.

Latest posts

Top Bottom