Texas Carry Laws

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArmyOfJuan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife and kids are heading to Hill Country for Turkey and I can't go. I need some legal info.

She DOES NOT have an SDA license. But Texas has the Motorist Protection Act which allows anyone who can legally purchase a firearm to carry a firearm in their vehicle, so long as it is concealed. What I can't find is anything about ammo. Can the gun be loaded? If not loaded, can the mag be loaded? Can the mag be stored in the same place as the gun? It all looks really muddy to me. Anyone want to weigh in?

hrdware

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife and kids are heading to Hill Country for Turkey and I can't go. I need some legal info.

She DOES NOT have an SDA license. But Texas has the Motorist Protection Act which allows anyone who can legally purchase a firearm to carry a firearm in their vehicle, so long as it is concealed. What I can't find is anything about ammo. Can the gun be loaded? If not loaded, can the mag be loaded? Can the mag be stored in the same place as the gun? It all looks really muddy to me. Anyone want to weigh in?

I am not an attorney and my opinion is worth what you pay for it.

In other sections of Chapter 46 of the Texas Penal code is specifically says a firearm (in the given section) must be unloaded. Since nothing in Section 46.02, which deals with the Motorist Protection Act, says it has to be unloaded, I would feel comfortable carry the firearm loaded.

Best bet would be to try and find a firearms attorney Somewhere in TX and call and ask them. Also, don't forget about all the GFSZ areas.

Talacker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is a law we need in OK. Our cars should be considered extensions of our homes and we should not need the state's permission to be armed.

ArmyOfJuan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Update. I talked to a sheriff from Texas today. He said to carry it fully loaded but concealed. He also said that if stopped you do not have to tell the uniform that you have it, but that they would probably appreciate knowing it.

rsc

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Update. I talked to a sheriff from Texas today. He said to carry it fully loaded but concealed. He also said that if stopped you do not have to tell the uniform that you have it, but that they would probably appreciate knowing it.

Just moved from Texas this year, the above is gospel. If you have your CCW then you have to inform, but the offense has been decriminalized and there is no fine for failure to inform. The weapon can be hidden on your person or in the vehicle, doesn't matter. The law is to cover travelers, but a few years ago added a clause giving the presumption of traveling to all motorists.

Latest posts

Top Bottom